XBench and *.xbp files

Hello Community,

I work with Trados Studio 2022 SR2 - 17.2.10.19084, but Studio 2021 is still installed on my desktop.

Last week, for the first time ever, a new client asked me to add a XBench report to the project deliverables. So I downloaded XBench 2.9 from the AppStore, installed it and two XBench icons did appear in the Studio 2022 Editor ribbon. I clicked on the left one to start creating the report and I remember being asked to select an fie-app association: I inadvertently clicked on the first offer, which -- I realized it later -- proved to be Studio 2021. and a new click on the XBench left icon opened Sudio 2021 and its related old projects.

I uninstalled XBench and repeatedly did the following repair intents:

• I went to Windows settings/Applications/Default applications only to find that the .xbp file extension was indeed asociated with Studio 2021 and... no other possible choice.
  • I risked a registry editing where I deleted the .xbp extension, only to find later that it still was present and unchanged in Windows settings/Applications/Default applications.

My only remaining idea would be to right-click on an *.xbp file in Windows Explorer and see whether I am given more choices of file associations: would someone send me one, anyone such file (m3c.lambert@wanadoo.fr)?

And if this last idea did not work either, I would definitely need some expert help.

Anticipated thanks and best regards.

Gérard

emoji
Parents Reply
  •  

Just rename it.  It does not have to be a real one.  For example:

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children
  • Hello  ,

Done! My problem was that for ages I had not clicked on the "Display file extensions" button in Windows Explorer/Display. Now *.xbp files are duly associated with Studio 2022.

But my issue id not solved for all that! Here is what happens now: when I click on Plug-ins/Check With XBench 2.9 (in either Projects or Reports or Editor pane), where that used to open Studio 2021 now it does open Studio 2022... a secont time in another window (why that?) and almost instantly I get an Error message "This file type is not supported".

The time has come for the classical sentence: what am I doing wrong?

Best regards.

Gérard

emoji
  •   

I think you need help from someone who knows XBench... that's not me!  Maybe  can assist you with that version?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Hello  ,

Maybe? I am sure that Dariusz could help me, since he is the XBench developer, but he must also be a busy guy: you tagged him 3 days ago!

Best regards.

Gérard

emoji
  •  

He is the developer of the plugin for 2.9 only.  He is not the the developer of XBench.  Don't forget that 2.9 is the free version of XBench and actually not supported by ApSIC any more.

But yes... I'm sure he is busy and I wouldn't count the weekend ;-)

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Hello  ,

Well, 26 days and nihil novi sub sole, I never heard of  , although you had tagged him.

And arriving at this Web page is a difficult endeavour, now that the invasive RWS Community e-mail notifications have totally vanished from our daily working landscape.

Best regards.

Gérard

emoji
  •  

It seems Dariusz had a couple of old defunct users in the community that he doesn't use so he didn't see these.  We sorted that out together this morning, and he'll try to have a look at your post time permitting in the next day or so.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  •   

It seems to me that your problem with starting Xbench is caused by a bad Windows configuration. When you click on the Check With Xbench 2.9 icon in Studio, after a second it should launch the Xbench installed on your computer. If there are any errors, they may be caused by an incorrect association of the XBP file with the correct application on your Windows system. The XBP file extension should be associated with the installed Xbench app (2.9 or 3.x), not with Studio. To fix this, the easiest way is to uninstall Xbench and then reinstall it.

Below, I give a bit of general information about the Xbench application and Studio plugins, which should explain the QA process using the Xbench application and the working of plugins for Studio.

General infor about Xbench:
    XBP is an extension file for Xbench projects (both Xbench 3.x and also 2.9). After a correct installation of Xbench 2.9 or Xbench 3.x, this extension should be associated with the Xbench app. The Xbench project contains translation files for QA, and may also contain termbases and other resources. All these types of files/resources are called glossaries. Files for translation are called ongoing translation glossaries. Termbases are called key terms glossaries. The project may also contain checklists with regular expressions for additional checking against the translation files (ongoing translation). Xbench 2.9 and Xbench 3.0 differ in their capabilities in terms of supported file formats and available QA-checks, but both apps have compatible project configuration files (files with the XBP extension). In addition, Xbench 2.9 is free. To perform QA of any translation file, you need to create a new project and add the translation files and other resources to it if needed. If there are no other requirements, you can add only the translation files. These can be, for example, sdlxliff files from Studio. Every time you create a project file in Xbench, it takes some time, and you have to search for files from different folders, so it is convenient to use plugins for Xbench in Studio. If you have Xbench version 3.x, you can use a plugin that the Xbench developer (ApSIC) has created. This plugin only works with versions 3.x, it creates a project file containing the sdlxliffs and termbase files from the active project and then runs Xbench 3.0 and opens the created project. This plugin cannot be used with Xbench version 2.9. For this reason, I have created the Xbench 2.9 Plugin. This plugin has very minimalistic functionality. It only has to create an Xbench project, add all the sdlxiff files from the active Studio project to Xbench project and open the project in Xbench. The Xbench 2.9 Plugin saves the Xbench project file (file with the XBP extension) in the Studio project folder.

XBP extension
    My plugin uses the association of the XBP extension in the operating system to open the Xbench project file. The project will be opened in whatever program the XBP extension is associated with. If you have Xbench 3.x, the project will open in the Xbench 3.x program. If you have Xbench 2.9, the project will be opened in the Xbench 2.9 program. If the association of the XBP extension is incorrect, this should be fixed. The easiest way to fix this is to uninstall and reinstall Xbench.

Is there a point in using Xbench in the Studio? Is it worth doing QA in Xbench for Studio projects?
    Personally, I use the free version of Xbench 2.9 (ApSIC, thank you so much) with the following checks enabled (Inconsistency in Source, Inconsistency in Target, Tag Mismatch, Number Mismatch, URL Mismatch, Alphanumeric Mismatch). Here is why:
    - Inconsistency in Source: none in Studio
    - Tag Mismatch: I mainly work on projects I didn't create. Tag Verifier has ignoring formatting tags enabled by default, tag ghost errors are set to Note and tag ID checking is disabled. I don't want to set this up every time before opening a project in Studio, and I often have to complete a dozen projects a day, so I use Xbench
    - Number Mismatch: I prefer simpler Xbench-style solutions that check individual digits rather than whole numbers (numcheck in Xbench 3.x no longer checks individual digits and is no longer as good). Secondly, see point above. I mainly work on projects I didn't create.
    - Alphanumeric Mismatch - This is best detected by LanguageTool Plugin (at least for Polish), but it is not configurable for all languages.

I hope I've helped.
    DArek

emoji
  • Hello  [cc  ]

Thank you for your enormous, detailed answer (I almost missed it because of the lack of daily e-mail notifications since mid-July; Paul finally says it is a technical glitch being tzken care of): problem solved.

Now that the plugin works, I only have to learn how to use the app (2.9) whenever asked for a XBench report.

Thanks & regards.

Gérard

emoji
  •   

Hopefully this issue is now taken care of too?  Just checking you get this notification?  Took some time to track down the problem but the IT team managed to resolve it an hour ago.

... just checking you too :-)

testing me too... RWS Campus 

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji