Does Trados 2024 Piggyback on Trados 2021?

I've just upgraded from Trados Studio Freelance 2021 to Trados Studio Freelance 2024. Does the new software use information, translation memories and programmes from my Trados 2021 software? Can I uninstall Trados Studio Freelance 2021 from my computer, safe in the knowledge that no translation memories will be lost? Also, if I have to transfer data like translation memories, will Trados 2024 automatically do it or must I manually perform the transfer? Any guidance or advice that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

emoji
Parents
  •  

Also, if I have to transfer data like translation memories, will Trados 2024 automatically do it or must I manually perform the transfer?

The upgrade will not do anything automatically for you.  I recommend you place all your Translation Memories, Termbases into folders that are separate from Trados.  That way you don't have to worry about them and can use the same resources irrespective of the version of Studio you work with.

I covered this a little in this webinar we delivered a few weeks ago... might be helpful.

Merging translation memories 

It wasn't specifically about that, but you may find it useful.

Can I uninstall Trados Studio Freelance 2021 from my computer, safe in the knowledge that no translation memories will be lost?

The answer is normally yes because the uninstallation process doesn't affect these sorts of resources.  But if you manually remove the 2021 folders where you might have these resources stored then you would obviously lose them.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •  

Also, if I have to transfer data like translation memories, will Trados 2024 automatically do it or must I manually perform the transfer?

The upgrade will not do anything automatically for you.  I recommend you place all your Translation Memories, Termbases into folders that are separate from Trados.  That way you don't have to worry about them and can use the same resources irrespective of the version of Studio you work with.

I covered this a little in this webinar we delivered a few weeks ago... might be helpful.

Merging translation memories 

It wasn't specifically about that, but you may find it useful.

Can I uninstall Trados Studio Freelance 2021 from my computer, safe in the knowledge that no translation memories will be lost?

The answer is normally yes because the uninstallation process doesn't affect these sorts of resources.  But if you manually remove the 2021 folders where you might have these resources stored then you would obviously lose them.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children