2024: Ribbon customization does not stick

I am trying to add the Autohotkey Manager to the ribbon, in a custom group under "Add-Ins".

It was there at least once, but now it disappeared and is deselected in the "Ribbon customization" dialogue. I can select it and press "okay", but when I select the "Add-Ins" tab, it's not there and when get back to the Ribbon customization dialogue it has been de-selected again. My mistake? Bug?

It does stick to the Quick Access toolbar.

Daniel

emoji
Parents
  • Hello Daniel,

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with the Ribbon Customization feature in Trados Studio. This could be due to a few reasons. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot:

Step 1: Ensure that you're using the latest version of Trados Studio. Updates often include bug fixes that might resolve your issue. You can check for updates within the application.

Step 2: Try resetting your ribbon to its default settings. You can do this by going to the Ribbon Customization dialog and clicking on 'Reset All'. After resetting, try adding the Autohotkey Manager to the ribbon again.

Step 3: Remember that commands are context-sensitive. This means that the Autohotkey Manager will only appear in the ribbon when you're in a view where it's available. Make sure you're in the correct view when checking for the Autohotkey Manager.

Step 4: If the issue persists, it might be a bug. In this case, you should report it to the Trados Studio team. You can do this within the application by going to the Help menu and selecting 'Report a Bug'.

I hope these steps help you resolve your issue. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • Step 3 of your answer seems to lead in the right direction. I can confirm the app is there in the Projects view. How can I make it be there in the Editor view as well?

emoji
Reply Children
  • Hello Daniel,

I'm glad to hear that you found the Autohotkey Manager in the Projects view. However, as per the design of Trados Studio, the commands are context-sensitive. This means that they will only appear in the views where they are available or applicable.

If the Autohotkey Manager is not designed to be used in the Editor view, it will not appear there even if you add it to the ribbon. This is to ensure that only relevant commands are displayed based on the context of your work.

If you believe that the Autohotkey Manager should be available in the Editor view, I would recommend reaching out to the developers of the Autohotkey Manager plugin. They might be able to provide a version of the plugin that is compatible with the Editor view or provide a workaround.

I hope this clarifies your query. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • How can I tell which function or application is eligible for which context?

emoji
  • Hello Daniel,

Determining which function or application is eligible for a specific context in Trados Studio is largely dependent on the design of the software and the plugins you're using. Here's a general guide:

Step 1: Open the Ribbon Customization dialog. You can do this by going to the View tab and selecting Ribbon Customization, or by pressing Alt+F10 and selecting Customize Ribbons.

Step 2: In the Ribbon Customization dialog, you'll see a list of all available commands on the left side. These commands are grouped by categories, which correspond to the different contexts in Trados Studio (such as Home, Add-Ins, View, etc.).

Step 3: Click on a category to see the commands available for that context. If a command is grayed out, it means it's not available for the current context.

Step 4: If you're looking for a specific function or application, you can use the search bar at the top of the dialog to find it quickly. If the function or application is not listed, it may not be available for the current context.

Remember, the availability of commands can also depend on the specific plugins you have installed. If you're unsure about a specific function or application, it may be helpful to reach out to the plugin developer for more information.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji