1) Termbase not populating translation fields. 2) Sentences that are repeated in different files (episodes of a TV show), do not come back right when creating a new project.

I have 2 questions.

1) I have a proper termbase that I put together is being accessed on the file I'm using. However, the translation for the termbase that comes on the translation field does not populate with the correct termbase. I have to manually start typing, so the termbase pulls it. Is this how it is supposed to be?

2) Is there a way to create a translation memory based on a current translated file? I have many sentences that are repeated in a series of episodes for  TV show, but the translation does not come as the previous ones. I always have to correct them. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance. BTW, I'm a new user, pls don't judge me if I'm being too basic... sorry

emoji
  •  

I have to manually start typing, so the termbase pulls it. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Yes.  You could have multiple options when it comes to terminology so this is always a manual decision unless you're using the OpenAI Provider for Trados in Trados Studio 2024.

Is there a way to create a translation memory based on a current translated file?

Yes.  Just go to your project settings (1), select "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" (2), create or add a Translation Memory (3) and make sure it's active and set to update (4).

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing the process to create a translation memory. Step 1 is highlighted in the Project Settings menu, Step 2 in the Translation Memory and Automated Translation submenu, Step 3 shows the 'Create' button for a new Translation Memory, and Step 4 indicates the 'Update' checkbox.

Then make sure you confirm your translations when working so each segment is sent to the TM.  If you've already translated the file, or part of it, then use a batch task to update the TM from the translated file:

Batch Tasks -> Update Main Translation Memories

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 10:23 PM (GMT 1) on 1 Aug 2024]