Unable to open TM file via "Project Settings" in Trados Studio 2017

When I try to open a TM file via "Project Settings" in Trados Studio 2017, I get an error message saying "The requested file could not be located".
Under RWS Support Gateway I then found the following solution:

"1. Close every RWS application.

2. Go to this location:

for Trados Studio 2017 : C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0

3. Find this file: TranslationMemoryRepository.xml, and rename it to TranslationMemoryRepository_old.xml or delete it

4. Open Trados Studio and see if you still experience the issue.

Note: This issue has been permanently fixed in Trados Studio 2021 SR 1 on build 16.1.0.3490.
Root Cause
The cause of the error is that the translation memory cannot be accessed anymore, for example because it's no longer available on a Network Drive or the user doesn't have access to it.
Reference

Cannot find the path in the resolution steps?
If you cannot see the files and folder paths mentioned in this article, it is likely that Windows Explorer is not configured to show hidden files and folders. Please refer to following article to find out how to show hidden files and folders: Showing hidden files, folders and extensions on Windows operating systems"

When I then try to complete Step 2 in this list of instructions, I get a directory containing 6 SDL Trados Studio files, with the file names ending with numbers, for example SDL Trados Studio_308. These files contain computer code. I am unable to find the file mentioned in Step 3 above and whose name needs to be changed or which needs to be deleted.

I wonder if I have correctly entered the path mentioned in Step 2 above. Should "UserName" in the path be substituted by an actual user name? If so, what user name is meant? Has this something to do with the operating system? I use Windows 11.

I would greatly appreciate help here from a friendly community member of adminstrator, as soon as possible. Without being able to access a TM, I am unable to continue my work for a translation agency.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephane Picault

emoji
Parents
  •  

The error message you mention only appears if you open a project which then tries to open the TMs that are assigned to the project. It means that it cannot find the TM in the given location. This can happen because the TM has been moved or deleted in the meantime. 
    The easiest way to correct this is to go to your project settings, remove the TM that cannot be found and add the TM again from the location where it is currently located. 

emoji
  • Good afternoon Walter, 

Thanks very much for the help offered.  However, I am not sure that the solution you suggest applies to my particular case. 

This is what happened: I loaded a translation project into Trados Studion 2017 and opened it.  A TM was supplied separately by the translation agency that is to be used for the translation.  I stored the TM file in a folder next to the folder containing the project.  After opening the project in Trados I then tried to select the TM (via "Project Settings") from its location in the folder, and it was then that I received the error message.  Normally the TM is added to the list of TMs in the top window on the "Project Settings" page after it has been selected.
    In the past this has always occurred without any problems. I have had to install Trados anew after my hard drive failed and had to be replaced.  This is my first attempt to use Trados with the new hard drive. 
    In the meantime I have moved the TM to another location, but still get the same error message.

Thanks again for your support.

Stephane Picault 

emoji
  • Good afternoon Walter, 

Thanks very much for the help offered.  However, I am not sure that the solution you suggest applies to my particular case. 

This is what happened: I loaded a translation project into Trados Studion 2017 and opened it.  A TM was supplied separately by the translation agency that is to be used for the translation.  I stored the TM file in a folder next to the folder containing the project.  After opening the project in Trados I then tried to select the TM (via "Project Settings") from its location in the folder, and it was then that I received the error message.  Normally the TM is added to the list of TMs in the top window on the "Project Settings" page after it has been selected.
    In the past this has always occurred without any problems. I have had to install Trados anew after my hard drive failed and had to be replaced.  This is my first attempt to use Trados with the new hard drive. 
    In the meantime I have moved the TM to another location, but still get the same error message.

Thanks again for your support.

Stephane Picault 

emoji
Children