Romanian font (Standard vs. Legacy)

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any chance SDL will adopt a different font for the Romanian language. Trados 2015 (and before) uses Romanian Legacy, which is old (and not supported by the Romanian law), as opposed to Romanian Standard, which is used on a large scale and has been adopted by Windows 8.1, 10 and Office 2013 and 2016. It is a bit annoying to see that almost all the words I type are underlined as errors and it would be great if SDLcould change that.

Many thanks in advance for a reply.

Diana

Parents
  • Dear Diana,

That's quite interesting, You can set Studio to use whatever font you like in the editor without affecting the final translation in the File -> Options -> Editor window but I have no idea which font to choose? I'm sitting next to a developer out of our Cluj Office at the moment and he doesn't know what you mean either. Maybe you can set the font you prefer, and perhaps let us know where we can find information on this so we can consider changing the default if appropriate?

Thank you

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Dear Paul,

Thank you for your quick reply, and I am sorry I was not accurate enough in my request.

In brief, the Romanian alphabet has some letters which are written with diacritical marks placed beneath (ș, ț). These should comply with Romanian Standard SR 13411:1999 (the diacritical mark placed under Ș and Ț should be a comma). Until a few years ago everybody used a system referred to as "Legacy" (instead of a comma, there was a cedilla that marked the above mentioned letters - this appears to have been a mistake of Microsoft prior to Vista). I see that SDL Trados 2015 still uses Legacy (all the Romanian words that contain diacritical marks marked with a comma instead of a cedilla are underlined as spelling mistakes).

What I would like to know is: could SDL add the Romanian Standard system as well, so that the diacritical signs marked with a comma are not underlined as errors? I find the spell-check tool very useful in Trados and having to look up all these words in large documents can take up a lot of time.

Here is some more info you might find useful:

https://ttolnai.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/standard-romanian-characters-vs-ms-legacy-romanian-characters/

I see the issue was raised in the past on other forums: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/247054-sdl_trados_2011_not_recognizing_the_correct_romanian_special_characters.html

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards,

Diana
  • Dear Paul,

Thank you for your quick reply, and I am sorry I was not accurate enough in my request.

In brief, the Romanian alphabet has some letters which are written with diacritical marks placed beneath (ș, ț). These should comply with Romanian Standard SR 13411:1999 (the diacritical mark placed under Ș and Ț should be a comma). Until a few years ago everybody used a system referred to as "Legacy" (instead of a comma, there was a cedilla that marked the above mentioned letters - this appears to have been a mistake of Microsoft prior to Vista). I see that SDL Trados 2015 still uses Legacy (all the Romanian words that contain diacritical marks marked with a comma instead of a cedilla are underlined as spelling mistakes).

What I would like to know is: could SDL add the Romanian Standard system as well, so that the diacritical signs marked with a comma are not underlined as errors? I find the spell-check tool very useful in Trados and having to look up all these words in large documents can take up a lot of time.

Here is some more info you might find useful:

https://ttolnai.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/standard-romanian-characters-vs-ms-legacy-romanian-characters/

I see the issue was raised in the past on other forums: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/247054-sdl_trados_2011_not_recognizing_the_correct_romanian_special_characters.html

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards,

Diana
Children