Unable to open xlf files in Windows 10 with SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance

I've recently updated to Windows 10 and now I'm unable to open xlf files in SDL Trados Studio 2014. I get an error that reads: "The identified target language does not match the expected project language". I know it has nothing to do with language codes, as I've had no problem opening the same files in a Windows 7 and Windows 8 PC. Any help?

I attach error message. Thanks in advance!!!!

Parents
  • Hi Violeta,

I do think it may be related to language codes.  Studio takes the codes it supports from the operating system, so if you were to check in three different operating systems you would see different languages available to you.

However, it would be a good idea to tell us exactly what languages are in your project (main language and sub language, so en-GB or de-AT for example) and also take a look with a text editor and see what languages are in the XLIFF file you are working with.

It might also be helpful if you did attach the error message in full.  You can do that by saving the error message to your desktop and then attach that file (it's an xml file) to here:

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. The project languages are these:

source language: en-US

target language: es-LA

This happens with XLF files only.

I thought it was all about Windows 10, as I'd had no problem at all with xlf files in Windows 7 or 8. 

I attach details of the error message. 

My SDL Trados instructor does not know how to solve this issue and suggested my getting back to you for an answer. What shall I do?

Thanks in advance,

Violeta

<SDLErrorDetails time="15/04/2016 04:33:03 p.m.">
      <ErrorMessage>El idioma de destino detectado no coincide con el idioma esperado por el proyecto.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.TranslationStudioException, Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor</Source>
        <HResult>-2146233088</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   en Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.ResolveLanguages(IMultiFileConverter converter)
       en Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.Load(IJobExecutionContext context)
       en Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.JobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)
       en Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job.<_worker_DoWork>b__3()
       en Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
       en Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       en System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
       en System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>11.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>11.2.4422.11</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>3082</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>Viole\Violeta</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>VIOLE</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>8285464 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

• XLF

source-language="en" target-language="es-la"

SDLPROJ

en-US Folder in Project: source-language="en" target-language="es-la"

es-419 Folder in Project: source-language="en-US" target-language="es-la"

Just a quick note to tell you that our customer has always created the projects in the same way and choosing the same language codes/variants. Again, no problems at all before Windows 10. In fact, I was able to open the files and complete the project in a desktop computer running Windows 7.

Thanks Paul!!!!!!!

Violeta

• Hi Violeta,

I think we need to see this project. I'm very surprised to see the sdlproj not specify the full language code since Studio does everything on the basis of a full language code.

Is there any way you can share this with me?

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

• Hi Paul:

I'm trying to attach the "sdlproj" file but cannot post it. I get a warning that it's not a valid file extension to attach to this message. [:(] What shall I do?

Thanks in advance!!!

Violeta

• Walter

Here's the file again, I think my last post had an error.

Thanks!

Violeta

Thanks!!4130.CXInsider_sdlproj.zip

• Hi Violeta,

ok, so your project file is using this:

TargetLanguageCode="es-419" SourceLanguageCode="en-US"

es-419 is the correct code for Spanish (Latin America), so your xliff needs to have this same code to work in this project.  If you open an xliff as a single file project that has the code es-LA the  it won't be recognised and you'll get this:

Note the target language is "(optional)".  This is because it's not recognised and Studio will allow you to set any language you like.  You'll get warning messages but it won't prevent you from saving the file.

However, if you create a project then this is different and you won't be able add a file to an existing project because the languages are already set, and your file won't match.

So you have to change the codes in the xliff to match the recognised codes.

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

• Paul,

Is this a problem with Windows 10? Because it does not explain why I was able to open those same files in Windows 7 or 8. Will this be fixed by SDL?

Additionally, we are sent those files by a cloud translation management company which does not support the es-419 code. This is going to be a problem as I have to create projects to send them back both the translated xlf and the tmx. 

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Violeta

• Unknown said:
    Is this a problem with Windows 10? Because it does not explain why I was able to open those same files in Windows 7 or 8.

Hello Violeta,

I don't have W10 and I can't open them either. At least I can't open the file I fabricated to match what you say you are getting from your client.  It would be immensely helpful if you provided two things:

1. A file you have opened successfully when you were using W7 or W8

2. The file you are trying to open now

It feels too much like guesswork at the moment and since I can't open the file I made up in any version of Studio and without using W10 I doubt we have the full story here.

Regards

Pau

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

• Unknown said:
    Is this a problem with Windows 10? Because it does not explain why I was able to open those same files in Windows 7 or 8.

Hello Violeta,

I don't have W10 and I can't open them either. At least I can't open the file I fabricated to match what you say you are getting from your client.  It would be immensely helpful if you provided two things:

1. A file you have opened successfully when you were using W7 or W8

2. The file you are trying to open now

It feels too much like guesswork at the moment and since I can't open the file I made up in any version of Studio and without using W10 I doubt we have the full story here.

Regards

Pau

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

Children