Idea Delivered

This idea has now been fully delivered with Trados Studio 2022 SR1. You now have the choice between a progress bar based on words and/or segments. See release notes for more information.

Please go back to Progress Bar focusing on words not segments

Parents
  • Oh man, this is the most annoying feature in this version. To me, the progress bar indicates the effort needed to complete the translation, and the segment count just means absolutely nothing, as I can have a 1 word or a 200 word segment. RWS, please revert back or at least give us a freedom of choice.

•  

"at least give us a freedom of choice"

You already have freedom of choice.  There are several ways to see what you want.  What are your reasons for not wanting to use any of them?

• I try to save as much time, as possible. And when I glance at the project file list (on default settings), I expect to see something that is practical.

Segment percentage is not practical. And I can't change it there. I don't want to go deep into any other menus - I need actionable information on the most visible spots.

Imagine, you would have a vehicle with a speedometer that shows you the speed in passed gas stations per 30 minutes. You could have your actual speed in kilometres per hour, but it would only show in the centre console, when you dig in your radio menu. Does not make a lot of sense, does it?

On a side note, emotionally it gets you annoyed. Say today I see 53 percent of a file is complete, but when I open it, the completion is 45 percent. So why do we even have this? What is the purpose of it?

Once again, this is actual feedback, from an actual user. Usually I get along with a lot of things, but this feature made me actually Google, register for this forum and actually post it. This should serve as an indicator, too.

• I completely agree Algis, I absolutely hate this change and time has not helped. As a jobbing translator, I don't care about segments, I care about word counts.

• Hi Paul, what are the several ways please? Confirmation Statistics is the only one obvious to me and it's a faff.

•   

Perhaps review this article - https://multifarious.filkin.com/2022/08/28/cant-see-the-wood-for-the-trees/

I think the thing to keep in mind is that the majority of freelancers work on single files, or smaller projects... note I am saying the majority as there are always going to be exceptions... so the alternatives for a freelancer are far less onerus than it would be for a project manager working with hundreds or thousands of files per project, with tens or hundreds of projects a day.

I do not disagree that having a new option to decide how you want this shown is undesirable, but I do disagree the change should be put back as it wasn't correct before.  The decision to make this change is not mine, but as I have been unsuccessful in convincing anyone to explain why the product manager should devote valuable development time to making this optional, nor has anyone taken us up on the offer to discuss this view directly with the development team (something I'm completely at a loss to understand if this is so important), I can't see why he would.

• The change was totally unnecessary, you can write what you want.
    Why doesn't the product manager take care of inconsistencies that have been dragged through for years? The alleged improvements that come with every paid update are definitely not noticeable for me. Give me a reason why I should update to a version after 22, or I'll do without in the future.

Comment
  • The change was totally unnecessary, you can write what you want.
    Why doesn't the product manager take care of inconsistencies that have been dragged through for years? The alleged improvements that come with every paid update are definitely not noticeable for me. Give me a reason why I should update to a version after 22, or I'll do without in the future.

Children
No Data