Editing/Update server-based translation memory

A couple of translators in my department are looking to edit their translation memory.  This server-based TM was created in 2016 and there are a number of old and outdated terms.  There are over 2000 pages in their TM.

I am looking for advice on a good way to edit this size of a database. 

Is there a efficient way edit this TM?  When finished do you or don't recommend re-indexing afterward?  Might there be something in the App Store that might be helpful?

Any advice on do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

We are using Trados 2019.

Thank you in advance

David

Parents
  • Hi David

Cleaning up large TMs is quite a tedious task. The main problem is that most TM editors are not able to process such large TMX or SDLXLIFF files. One intuitive approach would be for example to export the TM to XLIFF and then open this XLIFF in Studio, which would allow one to benefit from all the editing goodies of Studio. Unfortunately, this won't work because Studio will crash when you open such a large SDLXLIFF in its Editor. 

Having executed successfully quite a few TM cleaning projects in the past years, the only feasible tool I have found is the open source software Olifant from the Okapi Framework.

It is quite tricky to use, has not been updated for ages and crashes sometimes, but once you know how to deal with it, you can achieve good results. Its main assets are that it can process very large files and allows you to do batch delete and batch replace tasks, which the other TMX editors on the market don't allow you to. 

Best regards
    Walter

• Walter

Yes, at over 2000 pages I could see that being an issue bringing back into Trados.  I can see how to create a TMX as an export file.  How would create a SDLXLIFF file?

With the Stay at Home being extended through May it would be challenging to work with other Programs. How easy is it to learn and use Olifant?  How tech knowledgeable would one have to be?

David

Reply Children
No Data