Term Recognition not working

I have been constantly annoyed be term recognition not working consistently. I am an intensive TD user and might have many TDs opened sometime. What I observe is too too often - Term existing in the TD are now recognized - not highlighted and not in the Term Recognition window. But I can search for them and here they are!!!!
This was the case with 2017, with 2019 and now with 2021.… still not fixed.

Earlier, the speed of the various screens, adding a TD or refreshing a TD was a major issued and that has been handled once for all - great.

Now that issue on TD is the next one inline to be resolved as well once for all, as what the use of a TD and the system can't use them properly?!

If you are experiencing the same problem - please post it  - so we can get this resolved!!!

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a term recognition issue where a term exists in the Translation Memory but is not highlighted or appearing in the Term Recognition window.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:20 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • Whatever happens, I am sure that RWS knows the reason for it but they are just unwilling or unable to fix it.

In general the problem development normally have when things take a long time to fix AND they are serious enough to be fixed quickly, is being able to reproduce the problem and pinpoint what causes it.  Normally if this is possible things get fixed.

If something gets reported by a few users only, and often this does happen, then it's true that the problem could well be logged as a defect but unlikely to get any attention unless more serious issues affecting more users dwindle to the point where the teams just have more time on their hands.  I would say there is never an unwillingness.  It's like anything I think... unless you work somewhere and are really aware of everything going on it's too easy to think nobody wants to help, and I'm also sure it even feels that way sometimes.  But it's really not.

emoji
  • Thank you, Paul! When Multiterm is opened and new terms are added over 45 – 90 minutes (not continuously but adding a few terms then minimizing Multiterm, and then 20 minutes later adding some more terms, etc.) Multiterm grows continually slower and finally seems unable to add the new term and crashes with one of several error messages and sometimes part of the UI disappears and is substituted by a white rectangle with two crossing red lines. I have flagged this on several occasions in separate threads. I am not a programmer but it seems to me that the problem is fundamental here and cannot be easily fixed. By the way, Multiterm never remembers its window's position after being minimised and just opens in the top half of the screen – another bug that has been around for a long time.

emoji
  • Have you tried using Trados Live Terminology which should be part of your Studio offer in the cloud? Using that from Studio for the same use case, shouldn't have this problem, as it seems to be MultiTerm/Studio specific around memory and disk managegement on certain systems due to Microsoft technologies we have little control over and really tricky to track down and reproduce.

Might be something to explore as there is unlikely to be a quick improvement with MultiTerm on this, so might be more viable to use solutions we do have provided. As Paul said, if it was easy to fix, we would have done ages ago.

Luis Lopes
    RWS Principal Product Manager

emoji
  • Hi   and all the others who've contributed to this thread,

I've switched to Trados Live Terminology, because I was experiencing the same problems as described here (Term Recognition not working even after all possible workarounds), and it's doing a good job.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to a more stable MultiTerm version.

Sabina

emoji