Add terms to specific termbases (with keyboard shortcuts) in Trados Studio

I would love it is it was made possible to add terms to specific termbases (with keyboard shortcuts), on the fly.

Many other CAT tools currently support this, and I would love to see this functionality added to the latest version of Trados Studio, which is currently my favourite CAT tool.

I am currently using Nora Díaz's great little AutoHotkey script (see: http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2016/11/adding-terms-to-secondary-termbase.html) to add terms to a secondary termbase, but since it's based on AHK, it isn't perfect.

Using the Trados/MultiTerm API is beyond my capabilities, but the developers at RWS ought to be able to handle this.

In any case, being able to quickly send terms to a project termbase & background termbase (with keyboard shortcuts) is a very useful feature in a CAT tool, and is sorely needed IYAM.

I just created an Idea, so if you would like to see this implemented, PLEASE UPVOTE!!!

https://community.rws.com/ideas/trados-portfolio-ideas/i/multiterm-ideas/add-terms-to-specific-termbases-with-keyboard-shortcuts-in-trados-studio 

Michael

emoji
Parents Reply
  •  

it is too easy, because I/You do not have to consider other cases

Probably a poor choice of words, but I imagine you mean you created a simple solution adding directly to the Access database, and this is what you mean by "too easy"?

What usecase(s) does this support, because even in this form it's an interesting approach?  Just single terms in source and target, or can it manage to handle more complex termbase definitions, use of synonyms, duplicate checking etc.  What is the basis for your work?

I think if you are going to share your work like this then at least explain what you have done and more importantly how it could be used by others if they see fit.  If you don't do this it's not really very helpful.

Here's an idea... I know you have built dozens of small plugins for all sorts of things.  You could create your own Private AppStore that users could add into Studio and then take the ones they see as being useful.  Your Private AppStore could require a "key" that you charge for and users would have a smorgasbord of plugins from you to choose from.  Alternatively price each one separately... that would be your call and your problem to licence and manage, but either of these would be a much better approach than you sharing comments on all your solutions but never providing any details on how you did it, or how users can benefit from them if they like what they see.

emoji
Children