SDL Trados wont's accept numbers from the numbers' block.

For some strange reason, it's been a couple of days that my SDL Trados 2019 Freelance Plus won't accept my laptop's numbers' block to enter numbers.
It does however accept the numbers on the QWERTY...line of the keyboard, under F1..F2..., and the numbers block works fine in all other applications.
So, what happens when I try to enter numbers using the keys in the numbers' block, is that it will only accept the first digit and only if it is a 0 or a 2, and then I get the message in the printscreen attached.

Anyone else has encountered this...any help?

Thank you
OliverError message in SDL Trados Studio saying 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' with an OK button.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 12:37 PM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
  • Hello ,

Unfortunately this error doesn't actually tell us anything useful.

Therefore, its best to always post the full error stack and provide as much info as you possibly can-

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/w/customer-experience/4159/how-to-get-help-quickly-in-the-sdl-community-technical-forums

However, in the meantime- if we can rule out a simply Num Loc issue, then the issue might be simply out of date drivers-

I would recommend you follow this Wiki on trouble shooting and ensure everything is up to date (including drivers)-

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/w/customer-experience/3392/how-to-part-1-trouble-shoot-unexplained-errors-and-unwanted-behaviour-in-studio-multiterm

• Hello Steven Whale,
    Thank for the reply.

Yes, the "Num Loc" is issue is ruled out, the drivers cannot be older than they were last Thursday (and the issues emeerged Friday), so other than describing what I am doing (entering numbers as I've always done) and that the numbers work fine in Notepad, Word, Excel..., and providing the error message I get ("Object reference not set to an instance of an object."), I'm afraid I don't have any more info to provide.

Also, I cannot "Show > Save Error Details" as the error message is not in a translated segment - it appears in a pop-up that blocks you from working.

Any other ideas/solutions very much appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver

• Below the error details:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<SDLErrorDetails time="14-Oct-19 12:46:05 PM"><ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage><Exception><Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type><HelpLink/><Source>StudioSubtitling</Source><HResult>-2147467261</HResult><StackTrace><![CDATA[

at StudioSubtitling.ViewModel.SubtitlingViewModel.LinkMedia()

at StudioSubtitling.ViewModel.SubtitlingViewModel.ToggleLinkUnlinkVideo()

at StudioSubtitling.Actions.PreviewController.ToggleLinkUnlinkVideoAction.Execute()

at Sdl.Desktop.IntegrationApi.AbstractAction.Sdl.Desktop.IntegrationApi.Extensions.Internal.IAction.Execute()

at Sdl.Desktop.IntegrationApi.Internal.Adaptors.InternalActionAdaptor.Execute()

at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<ExecuteAction>b__0()

at Sdl.Desktop.Logger.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)

at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle)

at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteActionForShortcut(Keys shortcut)

at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyPreview(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

]]></StackTrace></Exception><Environment><ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName><ProductVersion>15.0.0.0</ProductVersion><EntryAssemblyFileVersion>15.2.0.1041</EntryAssemblyFileVersion><OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Pro</OperatingSystem><ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack><OperatingSystemLanguage>1033</OperatingSystemLanguage><CodePage>1252</CodePage><LoggedOnUser>AzureAD\OliverQAMILI</LoggedOnUser><DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork><ComputerName>LAP-OLIVERQ</ComputerName><ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork><PhysicalMemory>8255256 MB</PhysicalMemory></Environment></SDLErrorDetails>

• I have the same problem, only I don't even get an error message. The numbers just don't work in Studio, on any keyboard, except for the 0. They do work in all my other applications and when I have Num Loc on, the arrow keys do all work...

Edit: I forgot to mention that I use Studio 2021 SR1 - 16.1.8.4404, updated this morning, but I already had this problem before the update and I still have it now.

• I have the exact problem as Mirjana, without the error message. Only the 0 works. I see that this thread did not get a solution, so I ask if anyone knows how to solve it. Thanks!

emoji
  • Same issue here, with Trados Studio 2022 - 17.0.6.14902! Only the 0 works. No error message.

emoji
  • I'm not sure whether this solution will help you, but I will give it a try. So, my numpad stopped working once I installed the "Studio Subtitling" plugin in Trados.

According to the RWS Support Gateway article (https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000012895), this issue is caused by the plugin called Studio Subtitling which has the keypad numbers as default shortcuts. Therefore, it is recommended to uninstall this plugin as follows:

1. Close SDL Trados Studio
    2. Click on Windows Start button
    3. Write SDL Plugin Management
    4. Select your version of SDL Trados Studio from the top left hand-side of the window
    5. Select the Studio Subtitling plugin
    6. Click on Uninstall
    7. Restart SDL Trados Studio

Since I need this plugin, I decided to uncheck its checkbox in Add-Ins menu -> Plugins. Then I restarted Trados and the numpad started working. I hope that it will help you too.

emoji
  • OMG, you are a god to me right now! Such a simple solution! Since I also need the Studio Subtitling plugin, I have unchecked the checkbox as well. Thank you FOREVER!

emoji
  • I'm glad that I could help you. I encountered the same problem today and thought of sharing this solution because it also helped me. ;)

emoji