The sentence in an excel file is divided into multiple cells and so in numerous segments in the studio

The problem is the source excel file is formatted awkwardly. The sentences are divided among consecutive cells of columns.

The Studio shows the sentences also in split segments. First, we tried to merge segments in Studio, but I understood that the target file would be formatted differently than the source file.

What would be the way for me to tackle such an excel file?

thanks

nika

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • This document is a Nightmare.

You have to merge it, all of the segments at pre-translation stage with your own fingers.

This is what I have checked.

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing text segments with different highlight colors indicating manual and automatic merging options.

The first rectangel is to merge two segments "Automatically".
    It is showed you by the same HighlightColor(color itself doesn't matter).

The second (and all the rest) rectangel is to merge segments "Manually".
    It is showed you by the different HighlightColor(color itself doesn't matter).

As I mentioned, you could do it with your own fingers - simply merge it.
    I'll try to find "better" automatical method than now (I mean "mine").. but, it looks like quite negative.
    -and that should be Paid Service.

For your reference,
    you have to check "Allow source editing" when you make your project then you could "Merge" source segments freely.
    - do not check with "Disable merging segments...bulah" of course.
    and do not forget to chech "Read content ordered by column" at "File Type"(for Excel) for sure.

Good Luck To You

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:01 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • I could reduce "Several mouse clicks into a single click" when you do source merging.
    It could "some" help when you have to handle lots of segments.
    -actually, it is Two steps (DragClick, DragClick...) instead of Four steps(Trados default procedure - ClickClickClickClick, ClickClickClickClick.... )

you "Drag segments" and "Click" once my tool(or ShortCut), then you have merged one.

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing a translation project with highlighted text segments in the Editor pane.

hmm.. this screenshot is "for explanation" ONLY.
    this screenshot is done at "Taget" but, it should done at "Source" of course.

Bye.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:01 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • ah.. You have one more difficulty to overcome.

When you finish one segment - combined just like above comment's target, 
    you have to re-split it into several ones just like originally splitted source.

- I have made a tool for this specific case, of course..but..

emoji
  • so..

You could do it via

Target merge style

OR

Source merge style

Good Luck To You

emoji
  • This brings back some memories.  A long time ago I was a Civil Engineer and we worked with bills of quantities like this all the time.  We also used Excel exactly as you have shown it here because it is far easier to maintain the format and reuse it.  Today I'd go back and slap my younger self around the head a few times and explain how to do this in a localization friendly manner!

I think two things come to mind... or three:

1. make your client aware there will be a charge to handle the formatting
    2. use an approach from Kelly... OR
    3. use TransTools to merge the data

I created a very short video to explain:

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Asking extra charge is one thing and going through the tedious steps is another thing.
    And, I guess, the Client is not gonna move at all, even an inch, in terms of money and text formatting.

So, basicall eternal iteration of "Drag and Click" is the only way ? That's pity..

Finally, I do not like the idea to change Original text.

Regards

emoji
  • In addition to all other valuable tips and workarounds, you can also use a macro. First you have to carefully select multiple cells with Ctrl button. I recommend that you don't attempt to select all cells at once because if you click anywhere by mistake, all your selection will be aborted. So, select 10 to 15 paragraphs, then run (in Excel press Alt+F11, then F7, paste the macro, press F5) the following macro:

Sub ObedenitVertikal()
    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long
    Dim k As Long
    Dim intext As String
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    For k = 1 To Selection.Areas.Count
    For i = 1 To Selection.Areas(k).Columns.Count
    intext = Selection.Areas(k).Cells(1, i)
    For j = 2 To Selection.Areas(k).Rows.Count
    intext = intext & Chr(10) & Selection.Areas(k).Cells(j, i)
    Next
    Selection.Areas(k).Columns(i).Merge
    Selection.Areas(k).Cells(1, i) = intext
    Next
    Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    End Sub

Once you have pressed F5, the selected columns will be merged. Close the macro window and proceed with further selecting. Select 10 to 15 paragraphs again and repeat the above macro procedure. Once you're done with merging, the first two paragraphs may become incorrectly displayed. You can easily correct it by simple merging either with the Excel regular Merge feature or with TransTools functionality.

Excel spreadsheet with a note explaining the appearance of merged cells after running a macro, highlighting the 'Merge cells' feature in the toolbar.

If you are extremely careful when selecting paragraphs, you can even try to select all of them first (with CTRL). In this case you have to run the macro only one time. 

Next step is to replace line breaks with spaces. To this effect, press Ctrl+H. In the 'Find what' field press Ctrl+J. In the 'Replace with' field type a space character. Replace all.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:02 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • "Macro" is.. quite complex one (I prefer the term "dirty one" though..)

Your'd better improve your code a little bit more, before you use it in real world.

I got this one from your code, it is.. dangerous in some cases.

Screenshot of an Excel spreadsheet with a large yellow arrow pointing to cells A1 to A3 containing text 'abc', 'def', 'ghi'. The spreadsheet is labeled 'code Testing - Excel'.

So, I prefer to stand behind RWS dev team.
    Should you handle ".sdlxliff" stuffs, things getting easier than this Macro and the result will be better.

Good Luck To You.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:02 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]