The sentence in an excel file is divided into multiple cells and so in numerous segments in the studio

The problem is the source excel file is formatted awkwardly. The sentences are divided among consecutive cells of columns.

The Studio shows the sentences also in split segments. First, we tried to merge segments in Studio, but I understood that the target file would be formatted differently than the source file.

What would be the way for me to tackle such an excel file?

thanks

nika

emoji
Parents Reply
  • In addition to all other valuable tips and workarounds, you can also use a macro. First you have to carefully select multiple cells with Ctrl button. I recommend that you don't attempt to select all cells at once because if you click anywhere by mistake, all your selection will be aborted. So, select 10 to 15 paragraphs, then run (in Excel press Alt+F11, then F7, paste the macro, press F5) the following macro:

Sub ObedenitVertikal()
    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long
    Dim k As Long
    Dim intext As String
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    For k = 1 To Selection.Areas.Count
    For i = 1 To Selection.Areas(k).Columns.Count
    intext = Selection.Areas(k).Cells(1, i)
    For j = 2 To Selection.Areas(k).Rows.Count
    intext = intext & Chr(10) & Selection.Areas(k).Cells(j, i)
    Next
    Selection.Areas(k).Columns(i).Merge
    Selection.Areas(k).Cells(1, i) = intext
    Next
    Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    End Sub

Once you have pressed F5, the selected columns will be merged. Close the macro window and proceed with further selecting. Select 10 to 15 paragraphs again and repeat the above macro procedure. Once you're done with merging, the first two paragraphs may become incorrectly displayed. You can easily correct it by simple merging either with the Excel regular Merge feature or with TransTools functionality.

Excel spreadsheet with a note explaining the appearance of merged cells after running a macro, highlighting the 'Merge cells' feature in the toolbar.

If you are extremely careful when selecting paragraphs, you can even try to select all of them first (with CTRL). In this case you have to run the macro only one time. 

Next step is to replace line breaks with spaces. To this effect, press Ctrl+H. In the 'Find what' field press Ctrl+J. In the 'Replace with' field type a space character. Replace all.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:02 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
Children