Is it possinle to extract tag content for translation in a separate segment?

Dear Trados community,

I'm currently preparing a Word file in which there are HTML tags. Those tags are easily converted into tags with the embedded content function, but here's the thing: the <a href> tag contains text thatneeds to be translated.

Therefore, I've listed all the HTML tags separately, so they are treated differently and the <a href> tag's content can be translated in Studio (cf. pictures below). However, having these passages in the middle of a normal sentence not only breaks the flow but doesn't help the TM. The translators will have to research the links every time they appear in the middle of a segment and they'll never count towards a 100% match.

Long story, short question: is it possible to have the <a href tag> as a non-editable purple tag in the segment it appears, but extract its content to a separate segment below?

A bit similar to how URL hyperlinks also have their own segment, when the hyperlink tags are in the text segment.

Looking forward to help! Slight smile

Guillaume

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 3:13 PM (GMT 0) on 1 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • Hi  ,

Sure thing, thanks for taking a look at this. You'll find a sample Word file with HTML tags and a .html file with the same content in the following WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/t-cgg1dXhB6m.

To summarize, the files currently look like this on my end:

1. Using the Word file type with the settings mentioned in my question:

Tag content is put in the middle of the phrase, which isn't ideal for general translation or TM purposes.

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing Word file with HTML tags, tags are misplaced within the text, disrupting the sentence structure.

2. Using the HTML file type with a slight tweak which puts href content as "translatable":

- The a href tags are perfectly put in separate segments, but this requires me to convert every Word file to HTML and back to Word in multiple languages at the end of the project.

- Other placeholders (highlighted in yellow) are not converted to tags even though I used the Plain Text Embedded Content processors Lydia introduced me to in another question I had recently. I've added them in an identical way as in the Word file type -> embedded content.

Screenshot of Trados Studio displaying HTML file with href content set as translatable, tags are correctly segmented but other placeholders are not converted to tags.

So if there is a way to use the Word file type from image 1 and get the HTML content processing results from image 2, I'd have the best of both worlds.

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Guillaume

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 10:25 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •  

In fact... I may have read you incorrectly before.  If you want to really translate the hyperlinks themselves (which is unusual I think as it creates a crazy amount of work to maintain the websites) then you can only do this with the html filetype.  I would have been similar to you like this for translation:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a side-by-side comparison of a source and target document with hyperlinks indicated by a letter 'a' in a circle. The text is in German and there are no visible errors or warnings.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 10:25 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Hi  ,

I feared as much. In this case, we do need to provide the translated URL paths as well, unfortunetaly.

I'll try it out with converting all Word files into HTML and see if the preparation before and after is manageable.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,

Guillaume

emoji