My Studio 2022 and my MyMemory plugin no longer play ball together

... And no referee to make the game start againSmiley.

Studio 2022 SR2-17.2.9.18688   MyMemory plugin 22.1.0.0.

It all started 48 hours ago, I tried a few things, most repeatedly, I am now short of ideas, but on the way I collected a number of facts hopefully useful to our Community experts.

How did it appear? I wanted to modify a segment in a project implemented with MyMemory, but when I wanted to confirm the new version Studio just froze and I had to use the Windows task manager to close it. After opening it again, I went to Pproject settings/Language pairs/Translation memories and when making the mouse hover on "MyMemory", I could read in a pop-up notice: "Le fournisseur de traduction requis pour cette entrée n'est pas installé sur cet ordinateur" (Quite strange, as I later had a hard time uninstalling it)! I deactivated MyMemory and could then confirm my modified segment without any further problem.

What did I repeatedly try?

My first idea was to uninstall MyMemory and install it back. In the beginning I could not uninstall MyMemory by just clicking on the garbage can in my personal plugin list and had to pay a visit to the three (actually six) notorious Studio plugin folders. During further tries, a click on the garbage can did the trick, as is normal. When investigating the plugin folders after my last three attempts, I spotted the following *.txt file:

3/14/2024 16:44:35
System.NullReferenceException: La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.
à MyMemory.api.Api_pluginversion.CreateParameters()
à MyMemory.api.Api_Base.URL()
à MyMemory.api.Api_Base.Send(Int32[] ignoreResponseCodes)
----------------------------------------------------------------
3/14/2024 17:03:09
System.Net.WebException: Le nom distant n'a pas pu être résolu: 'api.mymemory.translated.net'
à System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
----------------------------------------------------------------
3/14/2024 17:09:31
System.NullReferenceException: La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.
à MyMemory.api.Api_pluginversion.CreateParameters()
à MyMemory.api.Api_Base.URL()

one for each attempt (The second notice might have coincided with a short Internet failure). Do these notices tell anything to anyone?

And if I am here telling my life story, it is because unfortunately, after each new installation and reactivation, back to the starting point (See above).

Of course I also reset Studio twice or three times, to no avail.

Any intent to help is most welcome.

Gérard

emoji
Parents
  •  

I think this is a problem for the Translated.net development team to address.  For the WebException you could try and verify your internet connection and DNS settings.  But if other internet services are working, and I imagine they are, then the issue might be temporary or specific to the api.mymemory.translated.net domain.  I would hazard a guess that the NullReference exceptions are related.

I would also note that there is no SR2 version of this plugin available as far as I can see, so that will almost certainly be a problem given the changes in Trados Studio between these versions.  So again, back to Translated.net as we cannot help here either since we don;t hold the source code or develop this app.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hello  

Thank you for coming back and insisting that the ball is in Translated's court; I shall let them know, as they seem so sure it is the opposite.

But I would not focus on the plugin version: AFAIR, their so-called 22.1.0.0 version was developed in the utmost hurry in July 2023, when Studio 2022 SR2 (17.2.8.xxxxx?) was released and I complained to Translated that I could no longer use their MyMemory; in a matter of very few days they sent me a new plugin which worked and was signed by SDL many more days afterwards.

Best regards.

Gérard

emoji
  •  

I doubt this is correct for several reasons. 

• SR2 was released on the 11 December 2023
    • On the appstore it's clear:
      MyMemory plugin page showing version 22.1.0.0 compatible with Trados Studio 2022 (SR1) highlighted, indicating it's not tested for SR2.
    • plugins are also signed automatically when they get loaded to the appstore for publication so we would not have signed this and provided it to MyMemory without it being on the appstore
    • the fact it loads into SR2 is because the max version in the plugin manifest allows it.  This doesn't mean it has been tested and verified against SR2

I tried to install this myself and whilst this version will install I also cannot load it into a project, or even as an available provider in my options.  It shows in the list but I can't actually add it.  This is not a problem for Trados Studio and it needs to be addressed by the MyMemory team.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:42 AM (GMT 0) on 15 Mar 2024]
  •  

I'm posting again because I found a clash between the MyMemory plugin and another one that is not available on the appstore, but was developed by the same developer responsible for MyMemory.  So I removed it and now MyMemory is working for me in SR2:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing Translation Results with MyMemory plugin. Text in English and French is displayed with no visible errors or warnings.

So I suggest you try properly resetting all your plugins and also Trados Studio and reinstall the plugins using the integrated appstore.  Don't omit any of these actions, please do a proper clean up, and then let me know if you still have this problem.

Please delete the following folders:

%APPDATA%\Trados\Trados Studio

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Trados\Trados Studio

c:\ProgramData\Trados\Trados Studio\17

Be careful with the last one and only delete the 17 folder otherwise you may need a licence reset.

Then start with the MyMemory plugin only and see if it works.  If it does then add your plugins back in one at a time and check there are no clashes and everything continues to work.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 5:04 AM (GMT 0) on 15 Mar 2024]
  • Hello  ,

Late answer: I was OOO during most of the day for an interpreting assignment.

My "AFAIR" was a good precaution, as apparently my memory (no capital initialsGrinning) is not so good as it used to be: I must have been confusing the releases of 2022 SR1 and SR2 (When was there the great wave of plugin updating?)

Thanks for your suggestions, I shall implement them ASAP step by step (Will this spare Translated the trouble of developing a new plugin?).

Best regards.

Gérard

emoji
  •  

Will this spare Translated the trouble of developing a new plugin?

It works for me so I'll say yes.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
Reply Children