My Studio 2022 and my MyMemory plugin no longer play ball together

... And no referee to make the game start againSmiley.

Studio 2022 SR2-17.2.9.18688   MyMemory plugin 22.1.0.0.

It all started 48 hours ago, I tried a few things, most repeatedly, I am now short of ideas, but on the way I collected a number of facts hopefully useful to our Community experts.

How did it appear? I wanted to modify a segment in a project implemented with MyMemory, but when I wanted to confirm the new version Studio just froze and I had to use the Windows task manager to close it. After opening it again, I went to Pproject settings/Language pairs/Translation memories and when making the mouse hover on "MyMemory", I could read in a pop-up notice: "Le fournisseur de traduction requis pour cette entrée n'est pas installé sur cet ordinateur" (Quite strange, as I later had a hard time uninstalling it)! I deactivated MyMemory and could then confirm my modified segment without any further problem.

What did I repeatedly try?

My first idea was to uninstall MyMemory and install it back. In the beginning I could not uninstall MyMemory by just clicking on the garbage can in my personal plugin list and had to pay a visit to the three (actually six) notorious Studio plugin folders. During further tries, a click on the garbage can did the trick, as is normal. When investigating the plugin folders after my last three attempts, I spotted the following *.txt file:

3/14/2024 16:44:35
System.NullReferenceException: La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.
à MyMemory.api.Api_pluginversion.CreateParameters()
à MyMemory.api.Api_Base.URL()
à MyMemory.api.Api_Base.Send(Int32[] ignoreResponseCodes)
----------------------------------------------------------------
3/14/2024 17:03:09
System.Net.WebException: Le nom distant n'a pas pu être résolu: 'api.mymemory.translated.net'
à System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
----------------------------------------------------------------
3/14/2024 17:09:31
System.NullReferenceException: La référence d'objet n'est pas définie à une instance d'un objet.
à MyMemory.api.Api_pluginversion.CreateParameters()
à MyMemory.api.Api_Base.URL()

one for each attempt (The second notice might have coincided with a short Internet failure). Do these notices tell anything to anyone?

And if I am here telling my life story, it is because unfortunately, after each new installation and reactivation, back to the starting point (See above).

Of course I also reset Studio twice or three times, to no avail.

Any intent to help is most welcome.

Gérard

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • Hello  ,

Thank you for working so late to help us.

Path to these Studio logs? Should I collect them right after (and during) a Studio freeze or at any time? And please remind me how I attach them to a post like this one.

Best regards.

Gérard

emoji
  •  

Should I collect them right after (and during) a Studio freeze or at any time?

Just work as normal and when the problem occurs pick up the latest log from here:

%AppData%\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17\logs\

remind me how I attach them to a post like this one.

Zip the log and then use Insert -> Image/Video/File exactly as you would for anything.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi again,  

Your Community page tells me that it does not accept the *.zipx file type: should I use a plain *.zip file?

emoji
  •  

Why don't you just try it?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  •  

I was just surprised that your page  would not take a*.zipx file, I thought of some bug (There are many more on this page).

2275.logs.zip

emoji
  •  

I was just surprised that your page  would not take a*.zipx file, I thought of some bug (There are many more on this page).

ZIPX is specific to winzip I think (maybe 7-zip and others support it now... I have no idea I've never used one) so I guess the platform just supports commonly known and understood formats.  What other bugs are there on this page?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • @Paul

The bug I was most often faced with in this already very long page is that the "Reply" button repeatedly refused to work.

The workaround:

• copy the whole message text,
    • reset the page,
    • open a new message space and paste the message text in it.

If not the first time, the "Reply" button usually works the second or third time (This one, second time).

emoji
  •  

Thanks for the logs.  Summarising the issues in there we see these main themes:

1. Language Cloud Login Failure: In both logs, there are entries indicating that the login to the Language Cloud service failed.

2. Error Reading GS Servers: Both logs contain an error related to reading GS servers, highlighted by a DirectoryNotFoundException. The specific path C:\Users\home\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Platform\Identity\SDLTradosStudio.exe\Servers.bin could not be found.

3. Missing Tips.xml File: The Tips.xml file could not be found at the expected location in both instances.

4. Update Information File Not Found: In both logs, there's a mention of a failed attempt to read the FilteredUpdates.xml file after initiating an update process. This suggests an issue with the update mechanism, possibly due to missing update information or an interrupted update process.

Given you also had a problem earlier with MyMemory that also mentioned problems with connectivity I think it is worth you investigating these things on the basis of these logs.  

1. Check your internet connection, so maybe use other devices or software to check if the internet connection is stable. The issue might be with the internet service provider or local network equipment.  I had a similar problem last month and in the end updated my router, and my Amazon Fire Cube (not related I know) and all the problems I was experiencing disappeared.  It was painful for me to do that as I didn't believe I should have had to but the lack of problems now made up for it.  I often think the hardware we use these days doesn't last long and even though it's still functioning in its own right it starts to become unable to handle the updates the service providers give us whether we like it or not. 
    2. Try a Wired Connection perhaps... if you are using WiFi, try switching to a wired Ethernet connection as this can be more stable.
    3. Take a good look at your security software.  The missing paths and files "may" be related to software you are running that is getting a bit excited and deleting things it should not when cleaning up.

Maybe also do a thorough clean up of Trados Studio after uninstalling it as there may be things left in there that are a contributing to the missing files/paths at least and a clean install might help.  

Clean install... try the following.

1. Uninstall Studio
    2. Uninstall MultiTerm

Now manually delete these folders if they are still there (back up your TMs, Termbases, AutoSuggest Dictionaries and Projects first in case you make a mistake):

c:\ProgramData\Package Cache\Trados\TradosStudio2022\
    c:\ProgramData\Package Cache\Trados\MultiTermDesktop2022\
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17\
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Trados\MultiTerm\MultiTerm17\
    c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Trados\Trados Studio\17\
    c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17\
    c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Trados\MultiTerm\MultiTerm17\
    c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Trados\Trados Studio\17\
    c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17\
    c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Trados\MultiTerm\MultiTerm17\
    c:\Users\%username%\Documents\Studio 2022\Project Templates\
    c:\Users\%username%\Documents\Studio 2022\Projects\projects.xml

I think that's about it for a clean install. Then reinstall and put your apps back... always via the integrated appstore.  This is far more reliable than downloading and installing as the only apps you should see in the integrated appstore will be ones designed to work with your version of Studio.  It's not infallible, but it is more reliable than manually downloading and installing manually.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Hi  

First things first:

• my router is recent,
    • there always was an Ethernet connection between my routers and my computers, since they stand side-by-side in my office,
    • no other device or piece of software in need of Internet shows a lasting or recurrent problem.

The complex repair operations have at least one quality: they lengthen the moment of hope; but... the longer the repair, the bigger the disappointment if the repair fails.

After a carefully managed clean install of Studio and Multiterm and an nth install of the MyMemory plugin, the result is not very satisfactory (understatement):

• the pop-up error notice "Le fournisseur de traduction requis pour cette entrée n'est pas installé sur cet ordinateur" is still there,
    • the Studio freeze (see details above) is back when MyMemory is activated in the linguistic resources... even before the installation of any other plugin!

Sorry for having to repeat myself, ​but I start getting tired of being the small yellow ball in this tennis game between RWS and Translated (I already wrote this to MyMemory Support last Thursday).

Best regards.

Gérard​

(Replied at the third attempt)

emoji