Error message: Failed to save target content: Unable to locate original file

I was trying to save the file as I usually do when this message appear: Error when saving the target content: Unable to locate the original file. 

I tried to save it changing the name of the file but it did not work. I received the same message 

Thanks for your help

emoji
Parents
  •  

Hi Maria,

There is one solution given on the RWS Support Gateway (a very useful part of the RWS community site) to the above error message, here:

Failed to save target content

However, I don't get this message every time I don't have the original format source file in a project that I have opened from a package. If an SDLXLIFF that came from a Word file, for example, has no errors and the source file it came from also had no errors or complications, you should still be able to produce a target file. 

However, when I get this message, it is sometimes because the file that the SDLXLIFF translation file came from had some complicated content that hasn't converted well.

In the latter scenario, I find it best to ask the client to give me the original file, then use a dedicated memory updated from the file I already translated, in a new project to pre-translate then go through and finish translating the file, this usually works.

Just a suggestion. If this doesn't work, let us know...

All the best,

Ali Smiley

Want to learn more about such things? Take a look here: 

Ideas for training

emoji
  • Hi Alison, 

Thank you very much for your reply. The problem is that my client does not have the original document. He only has a scanned version of an old hard copy. 
    I created a new project using the sane memory; however, I lost more that 20% of what I have done. 
    You suggested I should pretranslate the document, but I do not know how to do it. Could you please explain me the procedure?

thanks again 

Maria Laura 

emoji
  •   

Hi Maria,

Here's what to do if it was a PDF that you received.

EITHER:

1. Look in the project source folder via Windows Explorer.

If not and you're on a PC, it will be here:

C:\Users\yourusername\OneDrive\Documents\Studio 20??\Projects\Project name\source-SOURCE

or here: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\Studio 20??\Projects\Project name\source-SOURCE

I hope that makes sense.

2. In that source folder, you will find the client's PDF plus a Word document that Trados Studio created from that PDF.

3 Open the Word document and make any corrections, changes, deletions or additions to bring the document to where it looks more like the PDF.

OR:

1. If you have a PDF program such as Acrobat, it will be better to use that to work on converting the client's PDF to a translatable document. Microsoft Word, for example.

NEXT:

Create a new project to translate the tidy document you created, adding the components of the first project such as translation memory and termbase/s.

I hope that solves your problem.

All the best!

Ali Smiley

Want to learn more about Trados? Take a look here: 

Ideas for training

emoji
  •   

Hi Maria,

Here's what to do if it was a PDF that you received.

EITHER:

1. Look in the project source folder via Windows Explorer.

If not and you're on a PC, it will be here:

C:\Users\yourusername\OneDrive\Documents\Studio 20??\Projects\Project name\source-SOURCE

or here: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\Studio 20??\Projects\Project name\source-SOURCE

I hope that makes sense.

2. In that source folder, you will find the client's PDF plus a Word document that Trados Studio created from that PDF.

3 Open the Word document and make any corrections, changes, deletions or additions to bring the document to where it looks more like the PDF.

OR:

1. If you have a PDF program such as Acrobat, it will be better to use that to work on converting the client's PDF to a translatable document. Microsoft Word, for example.

NEXT:

Create a new project to translate the tidy document you created, adding the components of the first project such as translation memory and termbase/s.

I hope that solves your problem.

All the best!

Ali Smiley

Want to learn more about Trados? Take a look here: 

Ideas for training

emoji
Children
No Data