Worldserver compatibility pack for Trados 2022

Hello!

I had a similar problem with Trados 2021 some time ago but I gave up after nothing seemed to work.

Now I have almost the same problem with my Trados 2022 installation. I am able to download and install the relevant Worldserver Compatibility Pack for my Trados version, but whenever I try to to open a WSXZ file, I get an error message that mentions Multiterm. I do not understand why this happens, as I don't even have Multiterm installed.

The full error message is below:

Error dialog box in Trados Studio with a red cross symbol indicating an error. The message states 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' and includes a stack trace with references to Multiterm, WorldServer, and other internal components.

I have reinstalled everything and made sure that no other Trados installations are present on my machine. Yet the error persists. I have searched the community forums for a fix but I could not find anything.

I know I can rename Worldserver packages as zip files and extract everything to create a local project, but I really would rather take advantage of the convenience of simply opening them and focusing on translating rather than troubleshooting.

Do you think this could have something to do with Multiterm, or perhaps I should try installing another version of the Compatbility Pack (rather than the one that gets downloaded from within Trados Studio)?

Thanks in advance,

Luciano

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:42 PM (GMT 1) on 23 Jul 2024]
emoji
  •  the error means that you do not have the correct version of the WorldServer components, matching your Trados Studio version. What is your exact Trados Studio version? Go to Help/About Trados Studio to find the information.

emoji
  • Hi Caterina.

Thanks for your reply. My version is Trados Studio 2022 SR2 - 17.2.10.19084.

I thought that I had the correct version of the compatibility pack because I downloaded it from within Trados, without visiting any website with multiple files to choose from. I reckoned that it would offer me the right file based on my Trados version.

Do you know where I can find the correct components for my Trados Studio version?

Thanks in advance,

Luciano

emoji
  • Hi  . I found that downloading the Compatibility package from the RWS store and installing it is the best way to go. Please follow the steps in this article:

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000013233

For your Studio version, the WS component version you should download and install is "Trados Studio 2022 SR2 (CU10) 17.10.1979".  Follow the article's instructions and you will be able to open WSXZ packages correctly, which should always be done rather than unzipping the package and opening the individual sdlxliff files in the WSXZ package or creating a Studio project out of it.

I hope this helps you!

Caterina

emoji
  • Hello Caterina,

Thanks for your explanation. I went to https://appstore.rws.com/plugin/103/ and saw the following available plug-in versions:

Dropdown list showing Trados Studio versions with 'Trados Studio 2022 SR2 (CU10), 17.10.1989' highlighted and a checkmark indicating successful selection.

I downloaded Trados Studio 2022 SR2 (CU10) 17.10.1989. It seemed to be exactly the same file that I had downloaded from within Trados Studio, with the same file size.

I installed it, and the same error occurred when opening a Worldserver package. I tried with a different package, and there was again the same error.

I'm wondering if perhaps there is no working version of the Worldserver compatibility pack for my own specific installation. Do you know if it is possible to download a specific version of Trados Studio to match the exact version of the Worldserver compatibility pack as shown above? Otherwise I'm unable to open WSXZ packages in my Trados Studio 2022.

Best regards,

Luciano

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:38 PM (GMT 1) on 24 Jul 2024]
  •  I have exactly the same version of Trados Studio as you and the same WorldServer component version installed, corresponding to 17.10.1989 and I have no issues opening WSXZ packages. I have attached a very simple one (unzip the zip file to find it). Can you try to open it and let me know if it works?

unzip_me.zip

emoji
  • Hello Caterina,

I was able to open your package. It has now been established that I can open basic Worldserver packages.

That said, it seems that the problem might have been with some packages that have been prepared by one specific customer. I've tried to open multiple WSXZ files from previous projects, some of them created as far back as one year ago, but they result in the same error message and won't open.

I renamed your package and one of my packages as zip files and checked their folder structure to see if there's any difference.

This is from yours:

Folder view showing files: fuzzybands.settings, qachecker.sdlqasettings, tm.settings, tqa.settings, ws.settings, ws.version.

And this is from mine:

Folder view showing files: fuzzybands.settings, terminology_data.tbx, tm.settings, ws.settings, ws.version, XCS.xml.

I may be grasping at straws here, but perhaps the problem is in TBX file? Is it possible that such a WSXZ package won't open unless the user trying to open it has a specific Trados Studio installation with Multiterm?

Best regards,

Luciano

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:18 PM (GMT 1) on 25 Jul 2024]
  • Hello,

I was able to deal with the problematic WSXZ file by renaming it as a ZIP archive, opening it, removing the TBX file, closing it and renaming it back. Then I was able to open it as a Worldserver package with no glitches (except for the absence of the term base that was supposed to have been included in the package).

At this point it is clear to me that there is no problem with my WorldServer Compatibility Pack plug-in, but rather with how Trados Studio deals with term bases, as I originally suspected.

I proceeded then to create a term base using Trados Studio, but I received the same "Object reference" error message. I installed Multiterm, and creating a term base was not possible, with a similar error message.

After reading some forum messages, I tried everything possible to repair my installations. I uninstalled both Trados and Multiterm, deleted every SDL folder that I could find, and made sure that Windows was up-to-date, including the latest NET Framework version.

Even after that, the same error persists when trying to create a term base from within Trados Studio or Multiterm.

I was wondering if this could be investigated in greater detail, or if it would be better to create a new thread as this is clearly no longer related to WorldServer.

Thanks in advance,

Luciano

emoji
  • By the way, here's a log message that I was able obtain. Apparently it shows what goes wrong when trying to create a term base.

INFO [2024-07-30 12:23:01,212] Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.TermbaseDefinitionWizard - Instantiating termbase definition COM object 89c25b32-3bb8-434d-9426-e9cf7e4be860.
    INFO [2024-07-30 12:23:23,277] Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.TermbaseDefinitionWizard - Written termbase definition to C:\Users\Laptop\AppData\Local\Temp\aw1qukh4.ynl.xdt.
    INFO [2024-07-30 12:23:23,278] Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.TermbaseDefinitionWizard - Releasing termbase definition COM object 89c25b32-3bb8-434d-9426-e9cf7e4be860, succeeded.
    INFO [2024-07-30 12:23:23,281] Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.TermbaseCreator - Instantiating MultiTerm application COM object 88643852-a285-4061-b9bd-def3c569f42a.
    INFO [2024-07-30 12:23:24,704] Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.TermbaseCreator - Releasing MultiTerm application COM object 88643852-a285-4061-b9bd-def3c569f42a, succeeded.
    FATAL [2024-07-30 12:23:24,725] Sdl.Desktop.Platform.UnhandledException - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Sdl.MultiTerm.TMO.Interop.ITermbaseRepository.Connect(String UserId, String Password)
       at Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.TermbaseCreator.CreateTermbase(TermbaseDefinitionWizard xdtWizard)
       at Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.TermbaseCreator.CreateTermbase()
       at Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.TerminologyProvider.FileBasedMultiTermProviderWinFromsUI.Create()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectManagement.Terminology.ProjectTermbasesControl.CreateTerminologyProviderPlugin_OnClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    INFO [2024-07-30 12:23:24,732] Sdl.Desktop.Platform.UnhandledException - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.#ProcessName=SDLTradosStudio#PhysicalMemorySize=333320192#VirtualMemorySize=240898048#ThreadCount=45#HandleCount=1880#GdiHandleCount=1374#UserHandleCount=622#TotalProcessorTime=00:00:21.4531250
    INFO [2024-07-30 12:23:33,987] Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.ResourceLoggingInternalCommandExecuter - Finish#Id=04e4d91f-a82c-4703-9150-79bde3a40cac#Name=options#ProcessName=SDLTradosStudio#PhysicalMemorySize=327147520#VirtualMemorySize=223756288#ThreadCount=41#HandleCount=1681#GdiHandleCount=1372#UserHandleCount=590#TotalProcessorTime=00:00:21.6875000

emoji