Date Localization for Saudi Arabia

Hello, Trados Community,

When translating into Arabic (Saudi Arabia) in Trados, the dates automatically convert to the Hijri Calendar, as shown in the screenshot.

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing a translation document with dates in Gregorian format on the left and their automatic conversion to Hijri Calendar on the right.

Is there a way to adjust the settings to keep the Gregorian format, as it does when translating into Arabic (Egypt) (e.g., 1 أغسطس 2024)?

I've explored the "Language Resources" settings, I even tried to create one from scratch, but it seems I can only modify the date format, not the calendar type.

While I'm aware of some workarounds, I'd prefer a solution that eliminates the need for them. Slight smile

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 10:58 AM (GMT 1) on 9 Sep 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hello,

I understand that you're looking to keep the Gregorian date format when translating into Arabic (Saudi Arabia) in Trados Studio. While the "Language Resources" settings allow you to modify the date format, they don't provide an option to change the calendar type.

However, you can try the following steps to ensure the Gregorian date format is used:

Step 1: Go to "Project Settings".

Step 2: Navigate to "Language Pairs" > [your language pair] > "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" > "Auto-substitution" > "Dates and Times".

Step 3: Without making any changes, click "OK". This action refreshes the date and time settings and the correct date format should be used afterwards.

Alternatively, you can adjust the date format in your translation memory settings:

Step 1: Go to the settings of your translation memory.

Step 2: Under "Language Resources" > [your target language] > "Dates", ensure that the date format you want to use appears before the date format(s) with the day of the week. You can change the order using the little arrows on the left side of the window.

Step 3: Click "OK" to confirm the settings.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • Hello,

I understand that you're looking to keep the Gregorian date format when translating into Arabic (Saudi Arabia) in Trados Studio. While the "Language Resources" settings allow you to modify the date format, they don't provide an option to change the calendar type.

However, you can try the following steps to ensure the Gregorian date format is used:

Step 1: Go to "Project Settings".

Step 2: Navigate to "Language Pairs" > [your language pair] > "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" > "Auto-substitution" > "Dates and Times".

Step 3: Without making any changes, click "OK". This action refreshes the date and time settings and the correct date format should be used afterwards.

Alternatively, you can adjust the date format in your translation memory settings:

Step 1: Go to the settings of your translation memory.

Step 2: Under "Language Resources" > [your target language] > "Dates", ensure that the date format you want to use appears before the date format(s) with the day of the week. You can change the order using the little arrows on the left side of the window.

Step 3: Click "OK" to confirm the settings.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
Children
No Data