Updating TM

Hi everyone,

I need to update the translation of the term "Health Topic" in my English (Canada) to French (Canada) TM to ensure consistency moving forward. I’d like to replace it with "sujet de santé" for all future translations.

Would the best option be to import an .sdlxliff file containing the English term "Health Topic" and its French translation "sujet de santé" and use the "Overwrite existing translation units" option?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

P.S.: I use the Trados Studio 2022 version.

Virginia.

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you! I’ll try this!

I have a quick question:

Will this search/replace option only search and replace terms in the target section? I need to find "Health Topic" in the source and replace it with "sujet de santé" in the target.

Trados Studio Batch Edit Script dialog with options to find and replace text in the source or target translation unit text. 'Find what' and 'Replace with' fields are empty. 'Target' radio button is selected.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 10:31 PM (GMT 1) on 27 Sep 2024]
  •  

Will this search/replace option only search and replace terms in the target section? I need to find "Health Topic" in the source and replace it with "sujet de santé" in the target.

Correct, there is no conditional logic with that.  It's also worth noting if you use that approach it will only act on one page at a time.  So if you show 100 TUs per page and have a 10,000 TU TM you'll be repeating the operation 100 times to effect the result across the whole TM.

To do what you need you would first create a filter that separated out the TUs you were interested in... so something like this I guess:

Trados Studio Translation Memories search details interface showing a TM filter named 'Health Topic' with the condition to search source text containing 'Health Topic'.

Then use this filter (so don't forget to save it after creating it!) in your Batch Edit:

Batch Edit Script window in Trados Studio with a filter 'Health Topic' selected and an action to find and replace text in the target with 'sujet de sante'.

However, now I'm wondering if you're really asking the right question because you must have a term in the target already that you need to replace.  YOu only provided the term that is in the source, "Health Topic"... you didn't tell us what you need to replace in the target.

If what you really mean is that you want the term "Health Topic" to always be translated using a specific term "sujet de santé" then that is a different exercise altogether.  To do this it really depends on what resources you are working with, and also the version of Studio.  2022 rather limits your options I'm afraid and the solutions available to you would likely be more manual.

If you had 2024 you could add this into your termbase and then use OpenAI to always ensure your translations used the correct terminology.  You could also use DeepL, if you use that MT provider, with their glossary to achieve the same thing.  If you use Language Weaver on a paid account then you could do it with this too.

So I'm wondering if you actually asked a question about a solution you already anticipated when it wasn't the right solution to your real question in the first place?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 11:38 PM (GMT 1) on 27 Sep 2024]