Opening a partially translated .po file in Editor

Good morning, 

I'm having some issues with .po files. 

I have some partially translated .po files which I need to open up in Editor so that I can view/filter out new content to be translated, however, when I open it up Trados has split the segments into whole strings (paragraphs), rather than individual sentences and they are now marked as machine translated. Does this mean that the AT translations could in fact be different to the pretranslated content? 

How do I

a) ensure that the PO file splits the segments into individual sentences?

b) ensure that the translation shown is in fact the translation in the PO files and not AT?

c) lock the pretranslated segments for translation?

For example, in the screenshot here, for row 11, the first sentence is a new sentence which I would ideally need an empty translation unit for, so it would be good to split the segment into sentences rather than paragraphs. 

Screenshot of Trados Studio Editor with a .po file open, showing segments split into paragraphs with AT (Automated Translation) labels on segments 11 and 12.

I have also checked the translation memory settings, and segmentation rules have been set to default (sentence based segmentation, not paragraph based)

Screenshot of Trados Studio Translation Memory Settings dialog, with 'Sentence based segmentation' selected and segmentation rules displayed.

Many thanks

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:33 AM (GMT 1) on 17 Oct 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •  

I'm not sure this is possible.  Can you share the format of the PO file?  I imagine it's something like this:

msgid "An epidural anaesthetic involves injecting local anaesthetics and other painkillers into the epidural space (an area near your spinal cord). This numbs your nerves to give pain relief in certain areas of your body."
    msgstr "Mae hyn yn rhwystro eich nerfau rhag teimlo dim er mwyn lleddfu’r boen mewn rhannau penodol o’ch corff."

msgid "Shared decision-making and informed consent"
    msgstr "Gwneud penderfyniadau ar y cyd a chydsyniad ar sail gwybodaeth"

msgid "Your healthcare team have suggested an epidural anaesthetic. However, it is your decision to go ahead with the procedure or not. This document will give you information about the benefits and risks to help you make an informed decision."
    msgstr "Mae eich tîm gofal iechyd wedi awgrymu anesthetig epidwral. Fodd bynnag, eich penderfyniad chi yw mynd ymlaen â’r driniaeth neu beidio. Mae’r ddogfen hon yn rhoi gwybodaeth i chi am y manteision a’r risgiau er mwyn eich helpu i wneud penderfyniad gwybodus."

So the paragraph is actually in the PO file itself, as opposed to this:

msgid "An epidural anaesthetic involves injecting local anaesthetics and other painkillers into the epidural space (an area near your spinal cord)."
    msgstr ""

msgid "This numbs your nerves to give pain relief in certain areas of your body."
    msgstr "Mae hyn yn rhwystro eich nerfau rhag teimlo dim er mwyn lleddfu’r boen mewn rhannau penodol o’ch corff."

msgid "Your healthcare team have suggested an epidural anaesthetic. However, it is your decision to go ahead with the procedure or not. This document will give you information about the benefits and risks to help you make an informed decision."
    msgstr "Mae eich tîm gofal iechyd wedi awgrymu anesthetig epidwral. Fodd bynnag, eich penderfyniad chi yw mynd ymlaen â’r driniaeth neu beidio. Mae’r ddogfen hon yn rhoi gwybodaeth i chi am y manteision a’r risgiau er mwyn eich helpu i wneud penderfyniad gwybodus."

Which would achieve what you need.

So unless you can show me the PO written in a way that would support such a segmentation I think you're stuck.  It would appear the same way in a PO editor for example:

Screenshot of a PO file editor with English to Welsh translation. Source text and translation are visible with a 'Needs work' tag at the bottom.

There is a feature in the settings for the Trados Studio filetype that will do what you want if there is no target text at all yet, but once it's got a translation in there we don't support the segmentation.  Frankly I think we should and just put the target into the first segment if we can't segment that as well.  At least that way the translator could take responsibility for it... but we don't.  Perhaps a good idea for the ideas site.

So this:

msgid "An epidural anaesthetic involves injecting local anaesthetics and other painkillers into the epidural space (an area near your spinal cord). This numbs your nerves to give pain relief in certain areas of your body."
    msgstr ""

Would get me this:

Screenshot of a PO file comparison tool showing English source text on the left and Welsh translation on the right. Each segment is numbered and marked with a check box.

But then you'd have to remove all the target texts before you added to Studio and this isn't really practical.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:01 PM (GMT 1) on 17 Oct 2024]
  •  

I'm not sure this is possible.  Can you share the format of the PO file?  I imagine it's something like this:

So the paragraph is actually in the PO file itself, as opposed to this:

msgid "An epidural anaesthetic involves injecting local anaesthetics and other painkillers into the epidural space (an area near your spinal cord)."
    msgstr ""

msgid "This numbs your nerves to give pain relief in certain areas of your body."

Which would achieve what you need.

So unless you can show me the PO written in a way that would support such a segmentation I think you're stuck.  It would appear the same way in a PO editor for example:

Screenshot of a PO file editor with English to Welsh translation. Source text and translation are visible with a 'Needs work' tag at the bottom.

There is a feature in the settings for the Trados Studio filetype that will do what you want if there is no target text at all yet, but once it's got a translation in there we don't support the segmentation.  Frankly I think we should and just put the target into the first segment if we can't segment that as well.  At least that way the translator could take responsibility for it... but we don't.  Perhaps a good idea for the ideas site.

So this:

msgstr ""

Would get me this:

Screenshot of a PO file comparison tool showing English source text on the left and Welsh translation on the right. Each segment is numbered and marked with a check box.

But then you'd have to remove all the target texts before you added to Studio and this isn't really practical.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:01 PM (GMT 1) on 17 Oct 2024]
Children