STL subtitle file not recognized after installing STL plugin

Hello, I posted this question in this thread    Stl file in Trados file type not recognised  

After I consider better to start a new one.

I have stl files from a client. I installed both plugin for STL and Studio Subtitling. I restarted Studio after (three times) and the formats appear on the list of type of files. But Studio asks for a translatable file.

Thanks for your help. 

Studio 2021, btw.

Trados Studio error message saying 'The project must include at least one translatable file.' with an 'Accept' button.

Trados Studio file types list showing STL (Spruce) with extension '.stl' and STL v1.1.0.0 selected.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 11:05 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Hi ,

It's unclear to me why you would need to restart Studio multiple times before correctly installing the File Type. To correctly install a File Type, you can install it from the AppStore integration or downloading it directly from the AppStore + installing manually.  It is only required that you restart Studio once, if needed.

1. After restarting, you will need to navigate to the File Types settings area and activate the new FileType that you have installed; make reference to the screen shot that I included underneath.
    2. Once the File Type has been correctly installed and activated, it is then available when creating new projects from the Project Wizard.

Trados Studio Project Settings window showing File Types list with a warning 'Additional installed File Types exist.' and a dialog box to add 'STL (Spruce)' File Type.

Things to check:

• Confirm that the File Type is available in the project settings, from within the project session.  (e.g. click on the button directly to the right of the 'File Type Identifier' column)
      Note: From your screenshot, this is null

If you are still having problems, then I recommend that you provide us with a copy of the source file, so that we can test on our side...

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:05 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your time and detailed explanation.

I restarted Studio multiple times as first one it didn't include the new types. And twice again as it didn't work

Now the File Types shows the STL activated, as you can see in my first message screen shot (I think it is, sorry when I miss something).

I asked too in this ProZ forum www.proz.com/.../361790-stl_subtitle_file_not_recognized_after_installing_stl_plugin.html

Looks that there are two options for stl. And Studio plugin seems to work just with Spruce not EBU. I asked the client to save these slt files in Spruce and I think Studio will open them, which is a very good option as it creates a translation memory, something that can be of great help for consistency, updates…

Spruce STL (.stl)

STL is the abbreviation for Spruce Subtitle File, developed by Spruce Technologies Inc. for their application — DVD Studio Pro. STL is not widely used but requires mentioning due to its relationship with EBU STL which is discussed next.

EBU STL (.stl)

This version of STL was developed by European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and uses the same file extension with the STL by Spruce Technologies Inc. Unfortunately, subtitle creators are required to verify whether the format is EBU STL or Spruce STL, which creates more work. Contrary to the other formats described so far, which use plain text, the EBU format consists of binary data. Thus, it can’t be read with a general text editor.

From https://blog.xl8.ai/posts/the-beginners-guide-for-subtitle-format-users

Did you already try to open them in Wordpad or Word?

Probably you have STL-files in the EBU-format (European Broadcast Union). The format is binary and is used for exchange with broadcast stations and/or subtitle labs. So, it is not a textbased (Spruce) STL. You can only open and edit them properly with professional subtitling software which, unfortunately, is not available as freeware (there are some demo-versions on the web, but they only allow you to open it).

From https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/288632-How-to-open-and-edit-stl-file#post1749496

emoji
  • Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your time and detailed explanation.

I restarted Studio multiple times as first one it didn't include the new types. And twice again as it didn't work

Now the File Types shows the STL activated, as you can see in my first message screen shot (I think it is, sorry when I miss something).

I asked too in this ProZ forum www.proz.com/.../361790-stl_subtitle_file_not_recognized_after_installing_stl_plugin.html

Looks that there are two options for stl. And Studio plugin seems to work just with Spruce not EBU. I asked the client to save these slt files in Spruce and I think Studio will open them, which is a very good option as it creates a translation memory, something that can be of great help for consistency, updates…

Spruce STL (.stl)

STL is the abbreviation for Spruce Subtitle File, developed by Spruce Technologies Inc. for their application — DVD Studio Pro. STL is not widely used but requires mentioning due to its relationship with EBU STL which is discussed next.

EBU STL (.stl)

This version of STL was developed by European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and uses the same file extension with the STL by Spruce Technologies Inc. Unfortunately, subtitle creators are required to verify whether the format is EBU STL or Spruce STL, which creates more work. Contrary to the other formats described so far, which use plain text, the EBU format consists of binary data. Thus, it can’t be read with a general text editor.

From https://blog.xl8.ai/posts/the-beginners-guide-for-subtitle-format-users

Did you already try to open them in Wordpad or Word?

Probably you have STL-files in the EBU-format (European Broadcast Union). The format is binary and is used for exchange with broadcast stations and/or subtitle labs. So, it is not a textbased (Spruce) STL. You can only open and edit them properly with professional subtitling software which, unfortunately, is not available as freeware (there are some demo-versions on the web, but they only allow you to open it).

From https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/288632-How-to-open-and-edit-stl-file#post1749496

emoji
Children