Feedback Studio 2022 SR1 – "There was a communications or connection error."

Dear RWS team,

I have been using SR1 intensively in the past few days and have noticed a major difference in the behaviour with the connection to the Groupshare server. I get the dialog box

There was a communications or connection error.
Please check your server connection settings, network and internet connections, and that the server is available.

extremely often. E.g. if I leave my desk for a few minutes, the error will be displayed when I come back. Fortunately it doesn't get in the way during work in the editor, except sometimes when I switch between Studio and Antidote and back: then the modal dialog box will prevent me to type the correction until I close it.

Note that I have been working on projects with 400+ files.

Stack trace:
/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/347/88822.sdlerror_2D00_2023716_2D00_23h11m41s.sdlerror.xml

Update: another message in the same circumstances (left the desk and came back):
Error dialog box in Trados Studio indicating a request channel timeout and suggesting to increase the timeout value or the SendTimeout value.

Stack trace:
/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/347/sdlerror_2D00_2023717_2D00_0h8m15s.sdlerror.xml

Philippe

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 7:07 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
  • Hi  ,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

If so, please try the following:

Add 127.0.0.1 and the external server address in the hosts file located at: "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts"

Here is also a screenshot:

Screenshot of Windows hosts file with added entries for IP address 127.0.0.1 and external server 'mygroupshareserver.com'.

Alex J.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 7:08 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hi , Thanks for the suggestion. I have not experienced the issue recently, only because I had no project with hundreds of files. I will come back to this thread when I have a chance to try it.

By the way, with these projects I have been running into an other small network issue (maybe related). I can easily check out 400 files, but never check them in at once. I have noticed that the "sweet spot" is around 120 files. E.g. when I have 400 files to check in, Studio will always fail with a timeout if I try to check in all 400, but also 200, 150… With successive trials, I learnt that I need to check in 3×120 files and then remaining ones. However I will provide the screenshots and the exact error when the issue shows up again. It is possible that the entry in the hosts file fixes both network problems.

Philippe

emoji
  • I am currently reviewing a large GroupShare project and have these communication errors again. I added the suggested entry in the hosts file two days ago, but it made no difference.

127.0.0.1 mygroupshareserver.com # Trados Studio (suggested by Community)

Project: 784 files, 171k words

Studio: 2022 SR2 - 17.2.9.18688

See/download error log

Also, when I am finished tomorrow, I am going to have trouble checking in files, likely for a similar reason. I know by experience that I can only check-in approx. 120 files, otherwise the check-in does not complete successfully. Will post the error message+error log in a follow-up.

Philippe

emoji
  • Hi  

I just received a GroupShare project with 220 files. I checked them out to ensure the content is OK but will not work on them before Saturday, so I immediately checked them back in… and got the error. 

Usually I have this error at delivery. But this time, if you want, you can investigate anytime before I deliver Monday – I don’t know whether you do remote connect and whether that would help. In any case, here is the error and the log.

Reminder of the original problem: every GroupShare project with > ±120 files raises a timeout error when checking back the file in bulk. I have to check the files in batches of 120 files max. as a workaround. This can be annoying when a project has 700 files.

Error dialog box in Trados Studio showing a timeout error message with details about the System.TimeoutException and related stack trace information.

<SDLErrorDetails time="01.02.2024 21:26:47">
      <ErrorMessage>The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:01:00. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.TimeoutException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>mscorlib</Source>
        <HResult>-2146233083</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[
    Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Sdl.Enterprise2.Platform.Contracts.IO.IFileOperationService.CompleteOperation(Guid operationId)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.ServerConnectionPlugin.IO.FileOperationServiceClient.CompleteOperation(Guid operationId)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.ServerConnectionPlugin.IO.FileOperationClient.Complete()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectServerPlugin.ProjectServerCommuteClient.UploadFileVersions(IEnumerable`1 fileVersionUploadInfos, IEnumerable`1 newFileVersions, EventHandler`1 progressEventHandler)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectServerPlugin.ProjectServerCommuteClient.AddOrUpdateProjectFiles(Guid projectId, ProjectFileInfo[] newProjectFileInfo, EventHandler`1 progressEventHandler)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectServerPlugin.Operations.UploadFilesOperation.Execute(IProject project, String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Operations.ProjectOperationComposite.Execute(IProject project, String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Operations.BasicOperationComposite.Execute(IProject project, String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Operations.ProjectOperationComposite.Execute(IProject project, String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Project.ExecuteOperation(String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectServerPlugin.Operations.UploadAndCheckinFilesOperation.Execute(IProject project, String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Operations.BasicOperationComposite.Execute(IProject project, String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Project.ExecuteOperation(String operationId, Object[] args)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.ProjectServerPlugin.Actions.CheckInJob.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)]]></StackTrace>
        <InnerException>
          <Type>System.TimeoutException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
          <HelpLink />
          <Source>System.ServiceModel</Source>
          <HResult>-2146233083</HResult>
          <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)]]></StackTrace>
          <InnerException>
            <Type>System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
            <Status>Timeout</Status>
            <HelpLink />
            <Source>System</Source>
            <HResult>-2146233079</HResult>
            <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)]]></StackTrace>
          </InnerException>
        </InnerException>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.2.9.18688</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Pro</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1031</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>IAGOPC\Philippe Noth</LoggedOnUser>