"No results available" in Term Recognition window even though the entries exist in the termbase and I can see them when I perform a termbase search

Former Member
Former Member

Im running SDL Trados Studio 2019 SR2 15.2.7.2849 and SDL Multiterm 2019 15.0.6.56482, both u`pdated to the latest versions

For example in Segment 146 term "Wasserfilter" is not displayed in the term recognition window:

SDL Trados Studio 2019 interface showing a segment with the term 'Wasserfilter' not highlighted in the term recognition window.

But if I search "Wasserfilter" the termbase search window shows the entry:

SDL Multiterm 2019 search window displaying the entry for 'Wasserfilter' after a manual search.

How can I solve this problem?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 2:20 PM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • Have you tried to create a TB in the language cloud and then conect it to your project through the Termbase option in Project settings?

I had the same problem and now term recognition works in Trados.

For the creation of the cloud TB you login to your RWS cloud and go to terminology, then you click on create new termbase, choose language pairs. After the creation you import the TB as excel file or another type.

emoji
  • Sadly, I tried this, and for me it didn't work. I still get the super annoying (and, as far as I can tell permanent, since the developers won't properly recognize it for what it is: a total mess) problem of terms that I know are in my term base not being recognized.

Every year or so, I open up Trados Studio and start a project, only to pretty much immediately discover that term recognition does not work reliably. Someone recently told me to try the cloud termbases, so I dutifully tried them a few days ago on an actual job. As usual, it didn't work, so I had two stop using Trados Studio mid-project and go back to memoQ, where terms are always recognized and highlighted if they are present in your termbase.

Term recognition has been broken in Trados Studio since time immemorial. I used to think it was caused by the crappy underlying technologies that the term bases are based on. However, since the cloud termbases also don't work, I wonder what's going on...? Sadly, I think the last person that will be able to tell you what's going on is the developers. I have never seen anyone from Trados admit that there is a very real problem and that they are going to fix it once and for all.

In short, if you rely heavily on terminology (as I do) while translating, don't waste your time on Trados. Use a CAT tool that works. 

emoji
  • Sadly, I tried this, and for me it didn't work. I still get the super annoying (and, as far as I can tell permanent, since the developers won't properly recognize it for what it is: a total mess) problem of terms that I know are in my term base not being recognized.

Every year or so, I open up Trados Studio and start a project, only to pretty much immediately discover that term recognition does not work reliably. Someone recently told me to try the cloud termbases, so I dutifully tried them a few days ago on an actual job. As usual, it didn't work, so I had two stop using Trados Studio mid-project and go back to memoQ, where terms are always recognized and highlighted if they are present in your termbase.

Term recognition has been broken in Trados Studio since time immemorial. I used to think it was caused by the crappy underlying technologies that the term bases are based on. However, since the cloud termbases also don't work, I wonder what's going on...? Sadly, I think the last person that will be able to tell you what's going on is the developers. I have never seen anyone from Trados admit that there is a very real problem and that they are going to fix it once and for all.

In short, if you rely heavily on terminology (as I do) while translating, don't waste your time on Trados. Use a CAT tool that works. 

emoji
Children
  • Use a CAT tool that works.

I do. Up to date and properly maintained, Trados Studio and MultiTerm together work very well indeed, and I do rely heavily on terminology. However,  , if you start a new thread (this one is over 4 years old) and describe precisely what your problem is, giving steps to produce your problem and which versions of both Studio and MultiTerm you use, someone from Trados Help will be able to help you achieve what you need from the products.

All the best,

Ali Smiley

emoji
  • The number of hours of my life I have wasted on fighting with Trados, battling with the program, just to get the basics to work properly.

I'll create a new thread if and when I find a moment! Bt it really seems to be pointless, as I have been complaining about this problem for like 15 years. It truly boggles the mind that people put up with this.

I always use the latest, up-to-date versions of Trados Studio + MultiTerm, that's not the problem.

The steps to reproduce the problem are simple:

Create a project in the latest version of Trados Studio, create an online termbase (so no MultiTerm this time), and start translating. Add a few terms to the cloud termbase, and continue translating. A few segments down I find that (as usual), my Term Recognition window is empty. That's funny, I know I just added that specific term. Annoyed, I add it again. Still now showing. Lots of fun. Back to memoQ. 

Over the years, I have followed everyone's well-meant advice (reorganise yr termbase, restart Studio, reset the Views, make sure the versions of Studio and MultiTerm match, and are updated, etc., etc., etc.), but none of it has ever worked consistently. It might seem to for 5 minutes, but not really. Indicating that all these "solutions" are just the user getting lucky. Term recognition in Studio has always been flaky and random. The only time I ever got rock-solid reliability out of a termbase in Studio was with that app by RyS (the so-called "RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler"; it's called something different now and is way overpriced).

emoji
  • all these "solutions" are just the user getting lucky

If that's true then I've been lucky for a very long time. I love using Trados and MultiTerm!

All the very best, have a good week!

Ali Smiley

emoji