OutOfMemoryException error occurred while processing large files using Trados

Hello Team,

I'm working with an Excel file containing 1,000,000 words in Trados and need to lock repeated segments.
However, whenever I try to lock segments or save the file, I encounter an OutOfMemoryException error.

I believe this is due to the large file size,
and splitting it isn’t an option since we need to lock repeated segments within the same file.

Is there a solution for handling large files in this case?

My computer specifications are: SSD + 16GB RAM

Error dialog box in Trados Studio displaying 'Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.' with an OK button.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 11:35 AM (GMT 0) on 28 Oct 2024]
emoji
  • "Probability score": 0.8

"Question improvement suggestion": Please provide the exact version of Trados Studio you are using and any error codes associated with the OutOfMemoryException error. Also, it would be helpful to know if there have been any recent changes to your system or software.

In the meantime, based on the information you have provided, here is a suggested answer to your question:

Hello,

It seems like you're dealing with a large file in Trados Studio and encountering an OutOfMemoryException error. This error typically occurs when the system runs out of memory to perform a certain task. Here are a few suggestions that might help:

1. **Increase Java Virtual Machine (JVM) memory**: Trados Studio uses JVM, and sometimes increasing the memory allocation can help with large files. You can do this in the Trados Studio settings.

2. **Use XML V2 file type**: As suggested in the context, you can try recreating the project using the XML V2 file type. This file type is designed to handle larger files more efficiently. You can find more details on how to migrate the file type in the provided Knowledge Base article.

3. **Close other applications**: Make sure to close any unnecessary applications running in the background to free up more memory.

4. **Check for updates**: Ensure that your Trados Studio is up-to-date. Sometimes, performance improvements in newer versions can help with issues like this.

Remember, these are just suggestions and might not completely solve the issue, especially if the file size is extremely large. If the problem persists, you might need to consider other options, such as upgrading your hardware or using a different approach to handle large files.

I hope this answer addressed your question. If not, please reject the answer, add the question improvement suggestion information, and click the RWS Community AI checkbox on the right to try again.

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • "Probability score": 0.9

"Question improvement suggestion": Your question is clear, but it would be helpful to know the exact version of Trados Studio you are using.

In the meantime, based on the information you have provided, here is a suggested answer to your question:

Hello,

To adjust the memory allocation in Trados Studio, please follow these steps:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio.

Step 2: Go to "File" > "Options".

Step 3: In the Options window, navigate to "File Types".

Step 4: Select "Microsoft Excel 2007-2013".

Step 5: Under the "Common" tab, you will find the "Java Virtual Machine (JVM) settings".

Step 6: Here, you can increase the maximum memory allocation pool (Xmx). For example, you can change it to 1024m or 2048m, depending on your system's capacity.

Please note that increasing the memory allocation can help with large files, but it might also consume more system resources. Therefore, it's important to find a balance that works for your specific situation.

I hope this answer addressed your question. If not, please reject the answer, add the question improvement suggestion information, and click the RWS Community AI checkbox on the right to try again.

RWS Community AI

emoji