Video gets out of step with audio and subtitles

On my system, I notice that the playback of the video lags behind the audio playback and the subtitles. Audio and subtitles are perfectly aligned, but video lags behind more and more, maybe 5  seconds after a minute of playback. Is the video file too large that I am using? (450MB for a 3m40s video, mpg format)

Daniel

Parents Reply
  • Sorry , that was not explicit enough for me. Germans are much more blunt and they kind of expect that bluntness... 

Anyways, I am not at all surprised that you are doing some firefighting now, I would not have expected it to be otherwise. Rolling this out as an app has given you the flexibility to publish smaller updates until everything is really running smoothly.

Unlike Evzen, I am really excited about this app and the potential it has for our organization.

One thing is sure: Subtitles require a separate TM, so that the main TMs are not trashed up with sentence fragments as they are usual for subtitles. And in subtitling projects, the TM has a different function as you can't expect a lot of straight TM "hits". This is where fragment matching, concordance etc. are the main functions. And of course the Termbase, to ensure proper translation of key terms.

I think you are on the right track with this app. This is from an academic publication on subtitling:

Excerpt from an academic publication in German discussing the status and perception of subtitling in synchronization studios over the years.

And:

Continuation of the academic publication in German, mentioning the increasing confrontation with subtitle embedding and the rise of video-on-demand and streaming services.

So once you are through the surf with this, I am sure it will be highly useful.

Daniel

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 10:49 AM (GMT 0) on 4 Mar 2024]
Children