• Structured Content Collaboration and Co-Authoring Made Easy with SDL Tridion…

SDL’s Leading Component-based Content Management System Provides New Draft and Review Spaces to Unify Teams and Contributors Across an Organization October 2, 2019, Maidenhead, U.K. SDL (LSE: SDL), a global leader in content creat...
  • SDL Tridion Docs User Group: Best Practices

At SDL Connect 2019 in Burlingame, CA, the independent SDL Tridion Docs User Group will lead a discussion on best practices, drawing on experiences from users in the audience. Please join Colin Ferguson, Dell EMC, who will lead the session with a sho...
  • United Imaging Healthcare embraces structured approach to content managem…

Hi all, See below a press release we issued yesterday to the global press, announcing that United Imaging Healthcare has transformed its complex content environment with SDL Tridion Docs. The move supports the company’s digital transformation s...
  • Automating on SDL Tridion Docs - ISHRemote v0.7 now available

This release was about interactive usage, less typing and more valuable information. The sample based introduction is on ReleaseNotes-ISHRemote-0.7; worth a click. The full details are below.

If you don't know what PowerShell or ISHRemote are about. Or don't know how to install it, then have a look at the videos and supporting blogposts on https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/sdl-tridion-dx/tridion-docs/b/weblog…

• Automating tasks in SDL Tridion Docs using PowerShell - Examples

In this second follow-up blog post of the Tridion Docs webinar 'Automating tasks in SDL Tridion Docs using PowerShell', I will share a short summary of the 'Business Automation part using ISHRemote on the CMS', the resources and the script used during this webinar start @ 17:00 in the below recording.

youtu.be/3ItM2LDwh20

This blog post assume you are familiar with the first part as described on Automating…

• Automating tasks in SDL Tridion Docs using PowerShell - Getting started with…

In this first follow-up blog post of the Tridion Docs webinar 'Automating tasks in SDL Tridion Docs using PowerShell', I will share a short summary of the 'How to get started with Microsoft PowerShell' part of the webinar, the resources and the script used during this webinar.

https://youtu.be/3ItM2LDwh20

Summary

What is PowerShell

• A task-based command-line shell and scripting language from Microsof…
  • SDL Community User Groups

Elizabeth Gschwind from FICO has led the independent SDL Knowledge Center User Group as a volunteer since 2012. Her time and efforts for the community have paid off well with a strong community that openly shares best practices and is a model for any user group. In this blog she talks to the many benefits and successes of a user community.

Some History

To give you some background, I had been a user of SDL products for…

• Highlight - SDL Knowledge Center User Day in India

I’m writing this post mid-air on my way back from Hong Kong. In 3 weeks, I flew 30.000+ miles, visited 3 continents in 5 different time zones. Although physically exhausted, I’m refreshed and energized by everyone I’ve met and the conversations that have arisen from this.

A particular highlight of this trip was the success of our very first Knowledge Center User Day in India, hosted at the Leela Palace…

• Leveraging Reuse to Enhance the Customer Experience

Utilizing taxonomy and governance to facilitate reuse

Many content management professionals cite efficiency as the primary benefit of single sourcing and content reuse. It’s easy to explain this correlation logically: every piece of content you reuse represents a piece of content that you don’t have to create from scratch. While this correlation is true and easy to quantify, the more significant value of reuse lies in…

• How does SDL integrate with Acrolinx?

SDL Knowledge Center

SDL developed an Acrolinx authoring integration for SDL Knowledge Center (SDL LiveContent). Writers get direct feedback from Acrolinx. Learn more about Acrolinx Content quality and SDL here. See also the technical overview for enabling SDL applications to work with Acrolinx.

SDL WorldServer and SDL TMS

Use Acrolinx plug-ins and get reuse suggestions directly from SDL WorldServer or SDL Translation Management…

• Did you know... that you can subscribe to our newsletter

Recently, I’ve heard a couple of times that our community wasn’t aware that we were hosting a roadmap update for our customers.

One way to get notified on these events is to subscribe to our support newsletter that is sent out every month. This newsletter contains information regarding upcoming releases and service packs, webinars that will be hosted and other valuable information.

You can self-subscribe to…

• Best Practices - Writing DITA with Localization in Mind – Tips for using inline…

XML provides tags around content that can be read by downstream routines to apply formatting. For example, <p> [paragraph] indicates that a new paragraph has started and the publishing routines can create a line break, if desired. In the localization industry, <p> is called an “external” tag because it is not inside the content. External tags differ from “internal” tags such as <b> [bold] or <i> [italics] which are used…

• Best Practices - Writing DITA with Localization in Mind – Tips for using the…

The “xml:lang” attribute specifies the language of the element content. The “xml:lang” attribute can be specified on every element in the DITA content model. When no value for “xml:lang” is supplied, the default value of English is assumed.

Tip: Ensure the “xml:lang” attribute is available on the root level

The “xml:lang” attribute must always be present at the root level…

• Best Practices - Writing DITA with Localization in Mind – Tips for using text…

DITA Maps are used to assemble topics into a topic hierarchy for print, Web, Help, or any other deliverable. DITA Maps are thus the backbone for content reuse in DITA. By creating two separate DITA Maps that reference the same topic, two different deliverables can be created.

DITA Maps can contain text that might require translation. The title of the DITA Map, for example, might need to be translated as it is used on…

• Best Practices - Writing DITA with Localization in Mind – Tips for using Terminology…

In DITA, it is sometimes impossible to find and use an appropriate XML element to alert the translator that special treatment of a word is required. Make sure terms like company name or product name are defined in a terminology database that can be accessed by the translators, and provide them indications whether or not the words should be translated.

Tip: Use of terminology tools such as SDL MultiTerm in the translation…

• Best Practices - Writing DITA with Localization in Mind – Tips for using Index…

In the past, it has been common practice for writers using desktop publishing tools to insert index tags anywhere in the content, by selecting a word and then applying an index marker on that word.

The process for creating index terms in DITA is handled differently than in traditional desktop publishing applications. When a word or phrase is enclosed in the <indexterm> tag in DITA, it is no longer recognized as part of…

• Best Practices - Writing DITA with Localization in Mind – Tips for using Conrefs…

Keyrefs and conrefs are one very powerful way how DITA can achieve higher levels of reuse and manage more product variations in an automated way.

Essentially, a keyref or conref is a placeholder that is filled dynamically with relevant content at the time of publication. The benefit is that the same document with small variations can be produced in an automated fashion. For example, a keyref or conref can be used to identify…

• Best Practices - Writing DITA with Localization in Mind - Tips for using Conditional…

In the next series of posts, I will describe a number of best practices to simplify the localization of DITA files. If you ignore these best practices, it can be quite risky and cause significant headaches in the translation process.

Tip: Do not apply conditions to single words or terms; instead apply conditions to a paragraph or sentence

One of the powerful capabilities of DITA is the ability to apply conditions to content…

• Did you know… we are working on PowerShell automation libraries

People, by nature, don’t like repetitive tasks. Even worse repetitive tasks will often lead to humans making mistakes: someone forgets to copy a file, someone forgets to set a setting. To manage growth and taking cost out while managing your IT landscape, automation will be key. It will improve accountability, efficiency and predictability, while reducing cost, variability and risk.

Our team has been working hard…

• Meet the Product Team - SDL Knowledge Center

Curious about how Product Managers go about building and making the products we use on a day to day basis. Well here is a inside preview to what inspires Product Director, Frank Closset when working on SDL Knowledge Center...
  • CMS / DITA NA 2016 Conference Recap

I was lucky enough to speak at the CMS / NA 2016 Conference and since this is the premier conference for companies who use DITA and a CCMS, I thought I'd do a recap for the SDL Knowledge Center community. Let me just recap with some highlights and a list of the hot topics. Here we go.

Highlights

• The "Internet of Things" has changed the way customers consume information and look for information. Google it…
  • Global structured content strategies: an interview with Chip Gettinger

When I joined SDL in 2014, after having worked for years at the intersection of content management and globalization, I quickly discovered that SDL’s go-to person for a strategic view of the world of structured content is Chip Gettinger, VP of Solutions. Chip travels the country guiding top companies on turning their global content strategy goals into realities, and speaking at content events with the best and brightest…